Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM EJ22 for EJ25 Swap Questions

Hey everyone, Recently purchased an imported 95 2.2L JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) engine to swap with my Head Gasket challanged 97 2.5L engine.

Using the adivce off of this board I got a 95 2.2L motor to aleviate most of the hassels with the swap. What I did not realize was that a JDM would casue problems of its own.

My JDM engine did not come with an EGR system. The entire assembly is missing including the connections on the wiring harnes. I do belive that the head and itake manifold are drilled and tapped for EGR but it is not installed. Can someone confirm this?

Since my 97 manifold will not switch with the 95 I have two chocies the way I see it.

a) install a EGR system on the JDM intake manifold. AND I dont think i can use the EGR off my 97 2.5L can I?

B) forget the EGR system and try to keep the ECU from throwing a CEL (If possible)

I am sure that someone has done this and I would really appreciate a some help as I have taken the weekend off to get my car fixed and I afraid that I wont beable to get it done.

Thanks

Ben

Hey everyone, Recently purchased an imported 95 2.2L JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) engine to swap with my Head Gasket challanged 97 2.5L engine.

Using the adivce off of this board I got a 95 2.2L motor to aleviate most of the hassels with the swap. What I did not realize was that a JDM would casue problems of its own.

My JDM engine did not come with an EGR system. The entire assembly is missing including the connections on the wiring harnes. I do belive that the head and itake manifold are drilled and tapped for EGR but it is not installed. Can someone confirm this?

Since my 97 manifold will not switch with the 95 I have two chocies the way I see it.

a) install a EGR system on the JDM intake manifold. AND I dont think i can use the EGR off my 97 2.5L can I?

B) forget the EGR system and try to keep the ECU from throwing a CEL (If possible)

I am sure that someone has done this and I would really appreciate a some help as I have taken the weekend off to get my car fixed and I afraid that I wont beable to get it done.

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

Sorry to hear that your JDM motor is somewhat incompatable.

I have heard conflicting things here re: EGR... the driver's side cyl head needs to be drilled and tapped into the exhaust passage to feed the EGR valve- unless it has a blanking plug in it. Some folks claim that drilling & tapping is easy, some claim that it's easy to accidentally break into a water passage.

It would probably be easiest to get a complete intake manifold, EGR valve, backpressure valve, EGR solenoids & tube from a US '95 2.2. Make sure the intake manifold donor an AUTOMATIC 2.2, or it may not have an EGR valve. You could swap out the driver's side cylinder head with the proper one if you don't want to deal with drilling/tapping.

Could you just live with an always on CEL, or does your state require emissions testing?

Nathan

Nathan,

Thanks for getting back to be, I have been doing lots of searches and keep seeing your post on this same subject. I reall appreciate you sharing your knowlege.

My head is allready drilled and tapped for the EGR pipe, so that is not a problem.

I belive my intake is drilled and tapped as well but I would like to confirm that the EGR assembly on a 95 2.2L mounts different than the 92 2.5L (one bolt hole and two holes into manifold on 95 2.2L)

IF thats the case I think all i should needed is a EGR from a 95 2.2L and I am off to the races..... Correct?

Thanks for everyones help.

Ben

Are you 100% confident your EJ22 was used in Japan and not just built for export?

Allow me to explain.

In the late 80's I lived in Japan for two years and also drove over there. They have something called Road Tax which is based on your engines displacement. Engines with a size of 50cc to 1000cc are in one tax bracket. Engines 1.1 to 2.0 are in another. 2.1 to 3.0 in another and so on. Road tax on the second bracket are approximately $75 and the third are $150.

Selling the EJ22 is financial suicide to the JDM market because you pay the same amount of tax as the H-6 3.0.

I have JDM brochures for the '91 and '92 Legacy and all engines listed were the EJ18 carburetor and EJ20 fuel injected with DOHC instead of the SOHC with the EJ22. If you go to http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/touringwagon/ and look at the models offered today, they still use the EJ20, not the EJ25. I have also collected brochures for the Legacy from the UK, Germany and Australia and all markets EXCEPT Japan use the EJ22.

If someone can credibly dispute my claims, I would definitely like to read your comments and evidence.

Nathan,

Thanks for getting back to be, I have been doing lots of searches and keep seeing your post on this same subject. I reall appreciate you sharing your knowlege.

My head is allready drilled and tapped for the EGR pipe, so that is not a problem.

I belive my intake is drilled and tapped as well but I would like to confirm that the EGR assembly on a 95 2.2L mounts different than the 92 2.5L (one bolt hole and two holes into manifold on 95 2.2L)

IF thats the case I think all i should needed is a EGR from a 95 2.2L and I am off to the races..... Correct?

Thanks for everyones help.

Ben

Ben,

Are you planning on swapping over the EGR control solenoid & backpressure valve from your 2.5 onto the 2.2? They might be the same- if not, you'll need those. I think you also mentioned that there was no connector for the solenoid in the wiring harness...so you'll need a harness too. I think (not sure!) it is possible to adapt a 2.5 wiring harness to be used on a 2.2, but the connector for the ignition coil is definitely different. You can "frankensplice" the 2.2 coil connector on to the 2.5 harness. I used a complete '95 engine harness so I don't have a definitive answer for you as to the similarity or difference between the connections to the other sensors, etc. between the 2.2 & 2.5

I don't know about the EGR valves themselves; could you get a Subaru parts person to look up the part numbers for the 2.2 EGR valve and the 2.5 EGR valve and see if they match?

Don't forget about the interconnecting metal tube between the head and the EGR valve...you're not going to find one of those at Pep Boys!

Good luck,

Nathan

Are you 100% confident your EJ22 was used in Japan and not just built for export?

Allow me to explain.

In the late 80's I lived in Japan for two years and also drove over there. They have something called Road Tax which is based on your engines displacement. Engines with a size of 50cc to 1000cc are in one tax bracket. Engines 1.1 to 2.0 are in another. 2.1 to 3.0 in another and so on. Road tax on the second bracket are approximately $75 and the third are $150.

Selling the EJ22 is financial suicide to the JDM market because you pay the same amount of tax as the H-6 3.0.

I have JDM brochures for the '91 and '92 Legacy and all engines listed were the EJ18 carburetor and EJ20 fuel injected with DOHC instead of the SOHC with the EJ22. If you go to http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/touringwagon/ and look at the models offered today, they still use the EJ20, not the EJ25. I have also collected brochures for the Legacy from the UK, Germany and Australia and all markets EXCEPT Japan use the EJ22.

If someone can credibly dispute my claims, I would definitely like to read your comments and evidence.

I was going to say something about this. Unfortunately, we have a lot of assclowns (especially on eBay) who either are flat-out lying that the engines they have are JDM, or are just stupid and assume every engine they have out of a Japanese car is automatically JDM.

Regardless, I've never heard of any EJ22 in Japan except the EJ22G that was in the 22B.

• 1 month later...

Better late than never update,

Intake manifold for a ADM EJ22 was all I needed to get my car running.

Engine runs wonderfully, and I am very pleased. (Should have done this a long time ago instead of messing with the EJ25 head gaskets)

I found a very helpfull guy at a subaru shop in Denver that had alot of resonably priced used parts and shiped them very quick. His and contact info are:

David Moore

303-517-3300

djm@indra.com

I also have nothing but good things to say about

the supplier of the JDM engine CNS motors, they worked with me to accomadate my shipping request and the eninge was in great shape and very clean.

Angela Hernandez

angela@cnsmotors.com

CNS MOTORS, INC.

dba C N C MOTORS

201 N. HARBOR BLVD.

SANTA ANA, CA 92703

714-554-0661

1-800-429-4210

FAX 714-554-1860

• 4 years later...

Just starting using this info and appreciated expertise, need advice, we have 2002 2.5l Limited Outback and am seeking motor due to incompetent dealer HG problem, I was told a 2000-2002 JDM 2.0l would swap except for externals, only 45k miles, is this a correct assumption?