Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy drivetrain components on EA81 suby?

I just had a crazy idea... could you stick the wheels (meaning entire hubs, brakes, struts, etc) from an older legacy on an EA81 wagon. This would get you larger brakes, taller stiffer struts, and 5 lug wheels. I'm imagining taking the whole front steering rack and suspension assembly and putting in on there, modifying the mounting points for the A arms and rear stabilizers so it would bolt on, and for the rear taking the entire swing arms, etc. Of course, I still want the tranny from the EA82 D/R, so I'd have use the rear diff from an EA82, and do custom axles between the EJ22 hubs and EA82 diffs. If I'm doing all the welding and spacers for lifting it 2 or 3 inches anyway, would it really be that much worse to put legacy stuff on it? Or am I insane... I haven't really looked at a legacy recently to see if it's even built on the same principle...

Z

I think legacy suspension on an EA81 would be a step in the wrong direction for an offroader (which I'm assuming it would be if you're talking 2-3" lift and 5spd D/R).

The legacy suspension is VERY different than the EA81 setup, and actually has inherently less ground clearance due to its lateral links and diff cradle.

It would also be a nightmare fab job. Several board members have attempted it (even starting years ago) and none have yet to finish theirs as far as I know. There's no straight path to success and it would definitely require advanced fabrication skills.

I'm only being so discouraging because I think the end result would not be superior to the same EA81 wagon with a 4" lift, 5spd D/R, Rear disc brakes and a 6-lug hub conversion. Throw an EJ22 in there and you're even better.

I just had a crazy idea... could you stick the wheels (meaning entire hubs, brakes, struts, etc) from an older legacy on an EA81 wagon. This would get you larger brakes, taller stiffer struts, and 5 lug wheels. I'm imagining taking the whole front steering rack and suspension assembly and putting in on there, modifying the mounting points for the A arms and rear stabilizers so it would bolt on, and for the rear taking the entire swing arms, etc. Of course, I still want the tranny from the EA82 D/R, so I'd have use the rear diff from an EA82, and do custom axles between the EJ22 hubs and EA82 diffs. If I'm doing all the welding and spacers for lifting it 2 or 3 inches anyway, would it really be that much worse to put legacy stuff on it? Or am I insane... I haven't really looked at a legacy recently to see if it's even built on the same principle...

Z

Yes you can take any of the late 80's front control arms and bolt them on your EA-81 cross member, its a direct swap but be careful, it moves your front wheels about 2" forward and out about the same,if you take it from the strut and off the cross member the only change you need to make is to drill out the pattern for the three bolt strut top.Be Sure to weld some heavy washers over the holes you drill.you will also need to have new radius rod made and these need to made to measure as the years you use make a diffrence.You may also need to use a ream to fit the steering rack to the joint as this may also be diffrent.

I've done it to my EA-71 Brat and it looks wild.

I have no advise on the rear yet as i used spacers to get the same distance for the rear.

Good luck as you go.

Thanks

1maBrat

Dale

Yes you can take any of the late 80's front control arms and bolt them on your EA-81 cross member, its a direct swap but be careful, it moves your front wheels about 2" forward and out about the same,if you take it from the strut and off the cross member the only change you need to make is to drill out the pattern for the three bolt strut top.

Z was talking Legacy, not EA82. Completely different, but even EA82 susp. onto EA81 is a pretty hairy swap requiring lots of custom work (on the front end especially).

Z

Well as far as the front axels go......... You can use 93-94 impreza FWD 5 spd axels.

They work. I have a d/r 5spd in my 90 leg.

That helps some!

Also like 88HM said earlier, you'd lose ground clearance because of the difference. In suspension parts

Huh. Looks like it might not be such a good idea. I was thinking that the stiffer suspension from a heavier car would result in higher ground clearance and better performance off road, but perhaps not if it's designed differently. I do know that the Legacys I've driven feel pretty squooshy off road, but I always attributed this to being really heavy compared to an EA81.

I think I'll probably go back to just thinking about the 6 lug conversion and a simple lift, since better off road performance is really the goal here.

Z