Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA tranny into EJ car....Wiring?

86ruguy

so it has been determined that the wagon is not cost effective to keep and repair and am going to have to take it off the market. However, i have a line on a legacy wagon, 2.2 n/a automatic that i want to put my FT4WD with diff lock in.

The question i have is.....am i going to have to get a stickshift wiring harness or can i do the swap with the one that is in it and maybe just deal with a CEL on all the time.

I know that guys/gals have done automatic to 5 speed swaps, and i'm pretty confident that someone has done a D/R into an EJ car, just seeking some info if anyone can help.

Also, i have found out that it is harder on my knee if i drive an aoutomatic all day because it gets stiff. (just in case anyone read the reason i was thinking of selling my EA car)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

IIRC, it's just one wire to bypass the neutral start switch (or you can connect the one on the tranny to it). I don't think it even throws a code.

quote from a fellow MNSubaru member, who's done a couple 5-speed conversions on imprezas:

"when i did mine, assuming the legacy harness is the same as the impreza harness all you should need to do is on the plug that goes into the shift selector box on the auto tranny( should be a gray 12 pin plug) all you do is jumper the 11 and 12 pins and that will allow the car to start(just jumpers the starter relay). this will allow the car to start if is in gear or not though, so you don't have the safety of the nuetral safety switch. but this is a quick easy way to make the car able to start."

exactly. I think I just cut that section of harness and looped those two wires straight off of the ECU (or whatever they came off of).

IIRC, it's just one wire to bypass the neutral start switch (or you can connect the one on the tranny to it). I don't think it even throws a code.

quote from a fellow MNSubaru member, who's done a couple 5-speed conversions on imprezas:

"when i did mine, assuming the legacy harness is the same as the impreza harness all you should need to do is on the plug that goes into the shift selector box on the auto tranny( should be a gray 12 pin plug) all you do is jumper the 11 and 12 pins and that will allow the car to start(just jumpers the starter relay). this will allow the car to start if is in gear or not though, so you don't have the safety of the nuetral safety switch. but this is a quick easy way to make the car able to start."

so, there isn't like a speed sensor in the tranny to worry about:clap: . just the neutral safety switch.:grin: Huh, then what the devil are all the other f***in wires that i had to cut out of the harness when i did the EJ swap on my current wagon:confused:

Oh wait a minute......the EJ automatics are electronically controlled, huh?:rolleyes:

thanks for the input gang, you rock:headbang: