Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a wrx turbo bolt to a EA82T?

flyjum

I was wondering if a wrx tubro would bolt to the stock manifold. I dont really care about it bolting to the DP as I will make a new one. Ive searched could not find much. I can get a used wrx turbo for 120$. Also what else would need to be modified for it to work. This is for a 86 xt turbo.

I was wondering if a wrx tubro would bolt to the stock manifold. I dont really care about it bolting to the DP as I will make a new one. Ive searched could not find much. I can get a used wrx turbo for 120$. Also what else would need to be modified for it to work. This is for a 86 xt turbo.
In a word, "No!", but there have been poeple who have created an adapter plate so that you can use the WRX turbo on an EA82T engine. It is a better turbo just by being a newer design, but I haven't heard of any great gain in power by using it.

there is a gain in power, simply due to the fact that at the same boost pressure, it flows more volume. but by no means a great gain, your right. basically that will come with tuning and other modifications.

the only problem i had when i mounted the td04 in my rx was that it ran lean. that was easily fixed by larger injectors. i am running roughlystock boost with mine and the car feels a lot better than it did in stock form. it still needs work and tuning, but i feel it was worth it.

Just what is it that you are trying to do??? You need to look for a turbo on a 2 liter or less engine, the will keep it close in the sizing department. There are a lot of used turbos out there, it's best if you have your old one with you to check before you buy.

Yea Im just looking around for a better turbo. I want about 14psi or so. I will get bigger injectors and fuel pump and RRFPR. What kind of power would that be at? Also FMIC 3'' turbo back and 2.5 ic piping. Might be able to beat my supra in this xt ha. Whats a good HG company? I found a ebay one for 40 bucks its made by eristic. Has any body used them before? I would like a MHG but cant find any. How much HP will stok bottom end on a ea82 handle. It does have 7.5:1 CR right? Can it handle 18 psi? The engine has 97k on it.

There's LOTS of discussion on modding EA82Ts. The end result, someone usually blows one up. They're weak.

HGs, stick with Subaru or Fel-Pro. At 14 pounds, I'd be worried about blowing head gaskets. I wouldn't worry about the bottom end if you can't keep the head gaskets from blowing.

Keep the thing running cool.

Use the search function, this topic has been covered well, and numerous amounts of times. Plenty of threads on the subject.

Find an EJ to put in it. If you are looking at the 10+ psi department, sadly the EA82T heads can't take it. The heads use bolts instead of studs (and a weird size too) so can't be torqued past 60 ft/lbs or so. Couple that with the lack of MLM head gaskets.... There's only about 3/16" of metal between the coolant jacket and the exhuast port so extremely careful mixture control under all conditions is vital to not cracking the heads - EGT sensors, and lots of them. The heads just can't take the heat, and higher boost = more heat. It's really just not worth the time when an EJ is easy to transplant and gives higher displacement and better design all around.

GD

Yeah.. if your stubborn like me though.... You can dump in all of your precious money into strengthening these areas and then pump up the boost... but dont forget fuel cut!!! and Forged pistons... and if you really want to be the bigshot... forged rods.... can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$ hope it helps...

I dont really want to swap and EJ unless its a ej20t or something good. Does any company make custom heads for the ea82 like dart or something? I dont really care to much about this car because I got it for 50 bucks.

You will spend far, far more money and time trying to make power from the EA82T. 200 is an 74% increase in power output, and without literally thousands of dollars it's not feasible or reliable.

Very few aftermarket parts are availible, and almost none of them are "performance" - the few that are just happen to fit but were made for some other application generally.

If you are looking for performance you are barking up the wrong tree. Get a legacy if you want to play with expensive performance parts. The simple EJ22 is 20 more HP without any turbo at all. The EJ22G (early 90's legacy turbo) is 165 HP stock, with a block that's good for 500+ HP and 20+ psi of boost. It's just plain illogical to mess with the EA82T - it was never designed to support the kind of power you are looking for. It's basically early 60's block (larger displacement version of the EA52), with modified valve train for OHC's. The heads are not built to withstand large amounts of forced induction or heat, and there are no options for replacements.

GD

Well how hard is a ej22G to swap in to theses old cars? What ecu and does it bolt to the stock trans? What engine mounts to use?

Search my young padiwan. All your answers can be found. Just search for EJ22 swap.

In fact, this thread will be of much help to you: http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48848&highlight=EJ22+Swap

That's your last free search from me.

You use the EJ engine mounts - they bolt right up. You need a 1/2" thick adaptor plate for the transmission - you can make your own or several members make them for around $100-$200. The EJ22G exhaust should bolt up to the EA82 mid-pipe. You need the ECU and wireing harness from the donor car, and you just strip the engine portion, give it power, and mount the ECU under the dash. Radiator hoses are interesting, but ask others here how they have done it. It's a well-documented swap, with plenty of people around here having done it.

GD

What ej series work? Newer wrx engine work? ej20TT? Sti engine? I can get a sti engine for farly cheap. Is the ej22 the only one you can use? Because swapping in 130ish hp is not great. BTW I would like to keep it auto. Thanks im going to search this swap now.

Wait... Im Confused... GD how much power can the stock 5speed manuals hold?? Can they really hold the power from a stock EJ???? I know they definately were not ment to but subarus drivetrains have been know to be... hmmm..... how to put it.... bullet proof... I know the autos really do stink... but what about a easy manual tranny swap.... would you be willing to do that???

I would WAY rather have a manual but I figured it would be very hard to do. What do you need to swap a manual in. There is one on ebay for 50 bucks for a ej manual awd tranny.

Not difficult - I just swapped an auto to a manual on a Loyale a few weeks ago. It's just a matter of bolting it up. Have to use the manual tranny cross-member, and swap the rear diff, and driveline. No problem at all.

The EA manual's are good to around 150 - 200 HP in stock form easily. The only real weak point is the reverse gear shift dog - they tend to not mesh properly after many years of loose linakges - a few grinds and they will shear off. If the linkages are kept in good order, they are fine. Any more power than that, and you'll want to step up to a WRX 5 speed or the STi 6 speed.

GD

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... the new STI 6 is so nice!............ the diffs are indistructable though... right? at least for the most part... i know if you drop them from outerspace then yeah theyll break.. but subies diffs have been known for some serious strength right?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... the new STI 6 is so nice!............ the diffs are indistructable though... right? at least for the most part... i know if you drop them from outerspace then yeah theyll break.. but subies diffs have been known for some serious strength right?

Pretty much. I've never broken one. Some of the HUGE lifted rigs have twisted the stubs in two, but that's with nissan t-case's, 10" of lift and 32's, etc. No street rig that I know has blown one that wasn't run out of oil or something. The 510 crowd uses them too, and our LSD's are sought after for their rally builds.

GD