Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej18s... how well were they built?

i am fairly new to ej's, but i have recently found a 93 impreza awd 5sp with the ej18, and i was just wondering, how well built are they? did the ej18s have comparable power to a ej22? how was the milage? reliability? are they non interference?

i'd hate to give the brat a salt bath this winter, so i`m hoping to pick this up cheap. the body is kind of rough, but it only has 100k, and seems to run fine. hopefully it has a little more power than an ea81, cause i`d like to use the drivetrain in the brat next summer.

EJ18's are as well built as the EJ22's they're based off of (as far as the shortblock, EVERYTHING is the same except the bore).

Hope to be turboing one here in the next 8-9 months, the one I have has 230k on it and has nothing wrong other than oil leaks.

It will have more power than your EA81, but not THAT much. It has 110hp stock.

i was just wondering, how well built are they? did the ej18s have comparable power to a ej22? how was the milage? reliability? are they non interference?

They seem to be built like tanks. The power is less, but the gas mileage is much much more. Very reliable and non-inteference.

I have an EA82 wagon and a EJ18 Impreza in the driveway and its interesting driving the two. Never raced them side by side, but you can tell the EJ18 is much more responsive to the gas pedal (MPFI) and is a little quicker... but it definitely FEELS quite a bit quicker. So for power EJ18 > EA82 > EA81.

I'll have to pull all of the sound system stuff out of the wagon one day and give the two a go. :) Maybe head to the track and pull some awesome 17second quarters. :burnout:

I've got an '94 Impreza with the EJ18 engine. Rock solid and likely less to be prone to head gasket problems due to the smaller bore. I have 130K on mine and the only difference compared to my EJ22 cars is slightly less low end torque but it's an engine which revs up much more quickly. Once you're in the higher rpm range, the car can really move; I have trouble keeping it from hitting the rev limiter at 6000 when I'm really on it during rallycross runs. The "slow" feeling you have might be due to your tires/wheels. I got mine with 16" low profile tires and it was a "stone"; it didn't get much faster with 15" tires. With the stock 14" tires and rims the car changes personality completely. I also get 20 to 30% better gas mileage with the EJ18 over the EJ22. All EJ18 and EJ22 engines up to and including 1996 manufacture are non-interference. 1997 and later are interference engines.

i am fairly new to ej's, but i have recently found a 93 impreza awd 5sp with the ej18, and i was just wondering, how well built are they? did the ej18s have comparable power to a ej22? how was the milage? reliability? are they non interference?

i'd hate to give the brat a salt bath this winter, so i`m hoping to pick this up cheap. the body is kind of rough, but it only has 100k, and seems to run fine. hopefully it has a little more power than an ea81, cause i`d like to use the drivetrain in the brat next summer.

The 5 speed '93s are pretty rare; I'd jump on it; see my other comments in the thread I posted.

Check out the scores for the 2006 rallycross season; I finished 6th for the year running against mostly EJ22 and EJ25 cars in the PA (prepared all wheel drive) class. Car doesn't have problems keeping up; not doing better is all my fault.

http://www.oregonrally.com/files/RX_Points_2006_Final.pdf

Indidual times for each event can be found under rallycross results at

http://www.oregonrally.com/rallycross.cfm