Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Powering up

Katesbrumby

depending on your emissions laws, a webber 32/36 DGEV carburettor is a good place to start, I don't know if your brumby's came with the EA-71 but an EA-81 is a direct bolt in if you have the smaller motor. Exhaust will help the motor breath well, however i wouldn't go bigger than 1 7/8 inch after the two pipes come together or you'll loose velocity and power.

if you're careful you can increase the timing by a few degrees, but you'll have to be careful to avoid detonation.

other than that you'll have to start spending real money.

Your from Australia right? Which means your '90 Brumby has a EA81. You should be able to put any carb you want on it without much issue as long as you keep the manifold with the EGR stuff :-\

Yours should have a cat in the exhuast so you can't do anything much there apart from make the pipe behind the cat 2 to 2.5" straight through. If yours is stock at the moment you'll see maybe 5-10hp increase with a weber and exhuast, but the weber will give a much better feel and torque curve I think.

Other option here is the dual carbs, same as weber for low end but gives you much better high end. Costs around $350 though.

I've also found fully rebuilt motors can give more power, but you'll want to test your Brumby against another EA81 car with a good motor to see if yours is laking power or if it is normal (which is just gutless.)

Other then that you may as well put in a new motor. Hardest thing there is wiring.

If that didn't make sense, it's because its hot and I've had a few beers.

so SPFI on any of the L-series wagons/sedans? I'm tryin to think what you guys call them down there. the legacy is the liberty correct? so any EA series from 94-90 should have SPFI... unless they kept carbs on them in those years.. if they did, I want one!

I think they may have all been MPFI or carb. I wonder where the closest to AUS that got the SPFI was??

GD

Maybe japan. But I haven't seen any SPFI imports.

MPFI was rare, also we got MPFI turbo. We didn't get FT4WD though. We call the 85-94 wagons and sedans "L-Series". And yes, the Legacy was called a Liberty here and they also had a D/R option. I have one of these D/R Lib boxes, but it has a even worse low range then the turbo "L" boxes (EA82t.)