Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When Changing the front 02 sensor on a 1999 Imp OBS. I have heard that you have to let the ECU recogonize the new sensor. This is going to be my first time changing a 02 sensor. I plan on letting it soak in pbblaster and then removing it. I am going to buy the direct replacement not the universal 02 sensor. As far as I understand. I just take the old one out and replace it with the new and hook up the connections. Is there anything that I need to do so the ECU will pick up the new sensor. I have never really done much auto work, I am only 20yrs old. So I am still trying to learn. I plan on being a subaru owner for a long time, I just want to thank everyone on this site, because I have learned so much and I am able to come here with any questions and find answers. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Jon

Hi Jon! After you replace the sensor (or during the work) you could just disconnect the battery for a while. Then the ECU will have to relearn all parameters and short and long term fuel trim, etc. Even if you don't disconnect the battery it will eventually adjust all these things by itself anyway.

The general suggestion on this board is to buy a genuine original equipment Subaru front O2 sensor rather than any aftermarket type. The genuine can be had online for maybe $90-100 or less depending on model.

If the sensor still seems tight after all the pbblaster sometimes running the engine for a minute or so helps free it up as the exhaust begins to warm.

Excellent choice on planning to stay with Subaru's for a long time. I think you'll find them a relatively easy vehicle to work on with things layed out thoughtfully with service in mind unlike many other makes. The only sort of weird problem I have sometimes is that not enough goes wrong with them to satisfy my desire to work on them.

Hi Jon! After you replace the sensor (or during the work) you could just disconnect the battery for a while. Then the ECU will have to relearn all parameters and short and long term fuel trim, etc. Even if you don't disconnect the battery it will eventually adjust all these things by itself anyway.

The general suggestion on this board is to buy a genuine original equipment Subaru front O2 sensor rather than any aftermarket type. The genuine can be had online for maybe $90-100 or less depending on model.

If the sensor still seems tight after all the pbblaster sometimes running the engine for a minute or so helps free it up as the exhaust begins to warm.

Excellent choice on planning to stay with Subaru's for a long time. I think you'll find them a relatively easy vehicle to work on with things layed out thoughtfully with service in mind unlike many other makes. The only sort of weird problem I have sometimes is that not enough goes wrong with them to satisfy my desire to work on them.

Thanks for the information, I was wondering, I dont want to unhook the battery because of the keyless entry system. I dont have a working remote, dont need those lights going off on me again. If I just hook the connection up and install, will it run ok or will I have a rough engine to deal with until it learns the new sensor.

Thanks again

Jon

I believe the the ECU has a fuse that you can pull to cut power and reset it without losing radio/security system settings. As to which fuse and whether its in the fuse box inside the car or under the hood I dunno, maybe someone else can chime in with that info?

cheers,

matt