Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats up with my heater/blower and how do I fix it?

Most likely its just a wee resistor bank thingee which sticks in the side of the heater box. Not sure about the exact location on ea82 cars, but its a small square bit about 20mm square if I remember correctly. It has wires plugged into it, and when you pull it out its got open resistive wire coils sticking out of it.

So yeah, its a square thig with wires coming out of it, does tha narrow it down? :rolleyes:

control switch...the XT's have a strange sliding mechanism, i was sure other EA82 stuff would be different so i wasn't sure what to call it since i didn't know exactly how it works. but he's right...whatever you use to vary the speeds. that actual button/switch you touch to change it. the contacts in it could be bad. depending on how yours is constructed (again i'm an XT nut), you can test it or look for bad contacts inside it.

the #4 setting doesn't use a resistor. so if this one doesn't work, I would suspect the switch, or wiring, before the resistor pack. my #1 & 2 resistors are blown, so I only have 3 & 4....

but yes, the resistor pack is right next to the blower under/behind the glove box. yes, you'll probably have to contort your body half way under the dash to get at it...another reason to try the switch first. in fact, I'd pull the switch apart and make sure all the contacts are good and clean, and see where that lands you. maybe even get out a multimeter and make sure you're getting continuity through the right wires on all the settings.

Next time we go yarding for parts, i'll help you get the resistor out of the blower motor, to see if thats what it is. There cheap, and they blow out pretty regularly anyway, so if its not it at least we'll have a spare. We need to go anyway, i need rust free EA-81 bits, and i'm sure i need more parts than i can remember.