Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy wiring for auto and manual into loyale

mellow65

Ok in the probably not so near future I would like to swap a ej22 into my loyale wagon. My goal is to find a car that is not the prettiest thing in the world or has a dead tranny to use as a parts car so I can have all the wiring i would need for the swap and not have to run back to the JY every time i forgot a relay.

My question is, can i use an auto legacy and put it in my loyale or is there other systems that are incorporated into the auto harness that would make it easier to just find a manual. Also would you need to swap a manual ECU in place of the auto one once all said and done.

I know some cars have different ECUs for autos and manuals, is the legacy one of these cars.

Not in any kind of a hurry, im just in the planning stages.

They all have different ECU's, but if you jumper the right pins you can fool it into doing what you want. The auto legacy harness is going to be more involved as the 4EAT is electronically controlled with it's own ECU in addition to the engine ECU. A manual will not have any of this stuff, and will be simpler to strip the harness for piggy-back into the loyale.

GD

in my experience, the ECUs are not different. and the jumper is only required to get the starter relay to turn on, but if you're using the relay on the EA car, it won't matter.

I have 3 OBD I EJ22 ECUs, one known from a 4EAT, one from a 5-speed, and the third I'm unsure as to the origin.....they're completely interchangeable, and do not throw any CEL codes.

the donor car for my swap was an automatic. it made things a little more complicated to strip down, but not too badly (just find the 2 connectors that go to the tranny, and the 2 or 3 that go to the TCU, and cut off all the wires that go to them....it really helps narrow things down)