Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ 22 Swap 81 Brat

jimbob_goatboy

Wanted to know if the sensor in the EJ 22 air cleaner box needs to kept or if I can get rid of it? Also since my vehicle does not have power steering what should I do with the power steering pump? I was thinking of looping the power steering lines. What have other people done with the power steering pump that do not have power steering?

Thanks

yes, you'll need the Mass Air Flow sensor....without it the motor will not run.

for the power steering pump...remove it. and get a shorter alternater belt.

Thanks for the help. Any ideas for keeping the Mass Air flow sensor and getting rid of the box? I have been looking for an aftermarket air filter to replace it but have not found one. Do I need to make one made for another vehicle fit mine?

Thanks

Thanks for the help. Any ideas for keeping the Mass Air flow sensor and getting rid of the box? I have been looking for an aftermarket air filter to replace it but have not found one. Do I need to make one made for another vehicle fit mine?

Thanks

You can get a pod filter with an adapter that takes the place of your airbox on eBay for about $20. Look hard enough and you will find it, it's just an adapter and pod filter, not those cheapo "cold-air" kits.

Oh, and your engine will run without the MAF, just not that well... ;)

neither of mine will (including the one still in the legacy). it'll start for a second, but won't stay running.

Mine ran for a couple of miles idling erratically and threatening to stall out before I realized something was up, remembered, got out and plugged it back in.

Anyway, MAF, good thing to have either way. :)

So far so good. I think these trannies are stronger than people think.

Till you really slam them hard in reverse and rip the reverse out of them, yeah they are strong. Forward gears are fine, except for the 3rd gear syncro which will still usually work even if it's thrashed. But when reverse goes.... it GOES.... as in get out and push. I ripped the reverse out of my 82 4 speed with a Hi-Po EA81 and 28" tires.

GD

It's perfect. 6 mos. 5K mi. and not one hiccup, whine, grind or missed shift.

So far so good. I think these trannies are stronger than people think.

I am going to use the 4 speed in mine also. I many miles did your 4 speed transmission have on it before your swap? Did you have it rebuilt before the swap?

The 5's are nicer - partly because of the shift linkage, partly because of the better clutch release bearing, but mostly because the low range is lower, and 3/4 are near the same as the 81/82 4 speed. 5 is nearly useless except for 65 MPH+ on the flat and level freeway runs.

Personally I've fought with the 4 speed linkage too many times, and the 5 is so much nicer that I would swap them just for that reason alone. The rest of the stuff is nice, but largely ancillerary.

You haven't lived till you've tried an EA81 with SPFI and a 5 speed :brow:

GD

The 5's def. are nicer for their gearing, but I built my own linkage (it's absolutely perfect, wish you could feel it) and I'm using a bigger Nissan truck throwout bearing to run an XT6 pressure plate. So I'm pretty happy with the setup overall. Course, if I had a 5 lying around I probably would have used it.

I'm running 28.5" swampers and I had 115k on the trans before my EJ swap. No rebuild.