Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DING! We have a winner! :banana:

Bucket wins a free beer next time hes in Whakatane. :grin:

Well this is all going very nicely, im getting 24mpg so far (taken over 470km's of driving) and im still amazed by how smooth everything is. Next week she's going in to get a new cam belt. At 95,000kms and nine years old im thinkin it should be done soon. Now im just debating whether to do the water pump while im in there. Moneys kinda tight and this is the first new belt for the car so i might let it linger till the next one. Any thoughts?

I am sure you are joking but if you need phone numbers to right hand drive Subaru's I get a new list every month from our National Carrier magizine, and would not mine mailing you a copy. Most of these are high mileage and needs lots of work. In fact I picked one up for 100.00 dollars last spring and have since made a good route car out of it.

Wonder where I can find a right-hand drive car?

Hmm...time to start looking for a mail Subaru...

"...Yes, hello? U.S. Postal Service? Uh huh...I'd like to..."

The things that need to be done is the belt, and check the pulleys and idlers, I lost a engine at 288,000 miles because the idler went bad. I am not even changing seals on mine unless they are leaking, but if I was paying some one else to do it I would probably have it all done while they was in there.

DING! We have a winner! :banana:

Bucket wins a free beer next time hes in Whakatane. :grin:

Well this is all going very nicely, im getting 24mpg so far (taken over 470km's of driving) and im still amazed by how smooth everything is. Next week she's going in to get a new cam belt. At 95,000kms and nine years old im thinkin it should be done soon. Now im just debating whether to do the water pump while im in there. Moneys kinda tight and this is the first new belt for the car so i might let it linger till the next one. Any thoughts?

I usually would try this myself but now i have 4 cams to deal with on an engine ive never worked with before.

Also the dealer salesman who sold me the car agreed to get it done at cost price for the parts. So thats where im going. :headbang:

If this has the 2.5 they do look harder to do then the 2.2, I dont think I would want to try it untill it got close to needing a new engine.

I usually would try this myself but now i have 4 cams to deal with on an engine ive never worked with before.

Also the dealer salesman who sold me the car agreed to get it done at cost price for the parts. So thats where im going. :headbang:

These sounds like reasons to try and justify the foolisness of a timing belt, now let me tell you why the chain is better, as you may know I use my car for my job and sometimes its nearly 150 miles a day six days a week. My car before my Subaru was a 1983 Malibu 305 engine I keep it on the road for around 450,000 miles never not even one time did I have to do one thing to the chain, and never heard any noise. With my Subaru now I have to change the belt around every 60,000 miles and also worry about the idler and other pullys that keep it moving. My wife is doing the same work as me and she drives a right hand drive Saturn with a chain, never not one time have we had to stop this car for the foolisness of changing a timing belt, because it also has a timing chain. I have never heard the timing chain in any engine as you know they run in oil. And how would one know they have stretched when I have never seen one off of any of the cars I have owned?

I disagree. Chains still stretch over time and eventually need replacement. Plus, a chain has to be lubricated, while a belt does not. And thirdly, a chain is noisier.

I disagree. Chains still stretch over time and eventually need replacement. Plus, a chain has to be lubricated, while a belt does not. And thirdly, a chain is noisier.

yes, and most timing chain engine's are interference, and ive heard about quiet a few breaking, and they are definitly more noisy, but for most they look at it as less maintenance. But still pretty unlikely, but we will like what we like.:burnout:

yes, and most timing chain engine's are interference, and ive heard about quiet a few breaking, and they are definitly more noisy, but for most they look at it as less maintenance. But still pretty unlikely, but we will like what we like.:burnout:
Actually, that isn't true. All the old crate engines are chains and they aren't interference.

I remember seing a concept for a new engine that used gears to drive the cam. Just a simple gear at the crank and cams, and a small driveshaft connecting them. I think it was on a diesel marine motor, there has to be some drawbacks that stop that design being used.

I think id rather have an old school pushrod engine, no belts or chains to worry about. They cant be all that bad performance wise if the new Holden commodore V8's have them.

But the new holden commdores are 6 litre....I don't have any figures to back myself up, (so will be happily corrected), but compared to many other smaller motors. I doubt the horsepower to engine size-ratio thingee-ma-bob is very astounding.

That said, I heart my pushrods. Just wish there were some more valves.