Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I trust the corner oil-change shop to get it right?

Is there any real need to take my '05 OB to the Subaru shop for an oil change? I've heard stories of folks getting shoddy work done at "Oils R Us" sorta places.

Do I need a genuine Subaru oil filter?

What sort of things should I be aware of if I do take OB down to the corner?

Juan

Is there any real need to take my '05 OB to the Subaru shop for an oil change? I've heard stories of folks getting shoddy work done at "Oils R Us" sorta places.

Do I need a genuine Subaru oil filter?

What sort of things should I be aware of if I do take OB down to the corner?

Juan

I would avoid these iffy lube kinda places. Sometimes they are a little over zealous and add too much fluids to the car. They also like to sell ill needed engine cleaning services. I am not sure about the OEM filter... I do know with Honda of a few years back, one would have to use an OEM filter or risk losing their warranty coverage.

If you decide on non dealer I recomend a chain business, though you might have to find one you through trial and errror. Car X,and Tuffy's are large in my area. They seem to do a really good job of basic repair and maintenance service. These shops are owned independly and so you will see differences in quality.

You should know exactly what you want in your engine and how much, talk to the tech doing the work, and double check the work. Unfortunately there are too many stories of incorrect fluids used, or incorrectly filled, like in the wrong filler pipes! Also, drain plugs too loose or too tight. Find someone you can trust-- and still be careful. Sometimes it helps to tip a concientious tech to do a good job.

Same goes for tire dealers. Just last summer two friends lost wheels after tire work, one a Porshe Carrera and one a new Volvo XC. I always double check lug nuts. Most techs aren't getting paid much for a job that has dire consequences for mistakes.

I'm gonna have to be a real drag here: You're car is too young to be subjected to discount-price service. Put the cost of an authorised service in perspective to the price of your car.

Yes, an authorised dealer visit is not certain to get you 100% perfect work done, but the chances are much better, and you won't void your warranty by accidently tripping over some technicality.

IF you do chose "Oil Changes R Us", PLEASE purchase a genuine oil filter from the dealer and have them use that.

I don't trust them, and do my own oil changes. Then I KNOW the drain plug is tightened properly, a new crush washer is installed, the filter gaskets aren't doubled up, and there is the right amount/type of oil. I also know I'll be able to get the filter and plug off the next time I change the oil, and it tends to cost less.

Purolator makes Subaru oil filters so I go with them.

they're cheaper because they're paying non-automotive minded people to work on your car for peanuts. it's inherently riskier. Subaru is expensive as nuts because they're paying people who've been trained, certified, etc. A cheaper alternative is a local mechanic, but as with any mechanic...even dealerships, be very careful. there are plenty of shady people out there and i wouldn't want them touching my car.

if you do go elsewhere, make sure they aren't using FRAM oil filters (or a relabeled fram) and you're fine.

a friend of mine made it about a mile from the shop before the engine locked up, they drained the oil, installed a new filter and the drain plug and forgot to put oil in it. to their credit they immediately took the blame and replaced her engine. but still no fun.

I always go to the dealer. They're not perfect, but

at least they use Subaru parts. Heard too many

scary stories about 'Quicky' type joints and engines

seizing up.

I'll never forget the time years ago when I had my Dad's

new Chevy Impala serviced at the dealer. When I drove out,

came to tne stop sign, brake pedal went to the floor and the

car kept going right through the intersection. When I got it

back to the service department, the mechanic looked at

it and said: "oh, forgot to reconnect the brake hoses", with

a smile. Should have made a big stink, but was happy to just

be alive.:-\

I always go to the dealer. They're not perfect, but

at least they use Subaru parts. Heard too many

scary stories about 'Quicky' type joints and engines

seizing up.

I'll never forget the time years ago when I had my Dad's

new Chevy Impala serviced at the dealer. When I drove out,

came to tne stop sign, brake pedal went to the floor and the

car kept going right through the intersection. When I got it

back to the service department, the mechanic looked at

it and said: "oh, forgot to reconnect the brake hoses", with

a smile. Should have made a big stink, but was happy to just

be alive.:-\

Last winter I was headed in Revelstoke to do a week of cat skiing, I stopped 1 week before I left at Mr. Lube and had the change the oil. I then drove home parked the truck till I was ready to leave. Hopped in the truck and began the 9 hour drive into the Selkirk Mountains. I was about Cockrane Alberta when I heard a funny noise and as soon as I got on Highway 1 (goes all the way across canada and is four lanes most of the way our best road). I pull over and the wind is howling off of the rockies, I pop the hood and see nothing out of the ordinary so I continue my drive and slove the problem by turning up the radio. I stopped in Canmore for Coffee, and the truck was facing the other way as soon as I opened the door I could smell gear oil and looked underneath and could tell it was the rear end. Now I have to be in Revelstoke by 7:30 am as that is when the cat leaves. I stop at a dealership drop the truck off and beg a ride to the highway, I get to revelstoke at midnight catch a little sleep and catch the cat. Ski 7 days in a row of virgin powder. I get a call from the dealership and they tell me the problem "NO FILL PLUG " Mr Lube did repalce the rear end but it was a used one, I still use them but I get out of the car and watch them do it. It warmed up today and is only minus 20, time to break out the shorts.

Plus at the dealer you can drool over all the new vehicles in the showroom whilst getting the oil change done. Maybe if you buy like a '5 pack' of oil changes or something they'll give a discount. I used iffy lube many a time while in college with no issues but I'm far too nervous to use them anymore.

Dealer advantage is OEM parts - cost for oil changes has narrowed considerably between dealer and "changers". So take advantage of dealer coupons and promotionals.

Two bad experience stories come to mind on the "oil changer" places:

1. Cousin had an engine seize after the filter was not installed correctly and the oil pumped out. Bummer the oil light on this Triumph didn't work to catch it in progress.

2. My dad had to reweld and re-tap the thread on the drain plug after they overtightened the plug and cracked/stripped the threads. Then he :-\ took it to them again and they broke the threads AGAIN. Oil pan needed to be replaced after that.

But that's not the worst these places have done. Check this out: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9265933/detail.html:eek:

If you do use these places, you have to watch them like a hawk. Go get your Starbucks coffee or lunch BEFORE you drop off the car so you can observe the work. Don't just leave the car and expect everything to get done.

Make sure they actually replace the filter......and with the correct one. Check the oil level yourself afterwards so you can see if they actually changed the oil and filled it correctly.

No matter who changes the oil, check the level yourself after the service has been performed. I change the oil myself because I can do it right, and I can do it less than 1/4 of the amount of time it would take to drive the dealership and kill at least a half hour in the waiting room.

Oh yeah, always check the oil level again, the morning after the oil change. You can't stop all the idiots in the world, but you can slow them down.

Why don't you like Fram oil Filters grossgary?
it's not so much that i don't like them as they are crap. yes there are plenty of people that use them without the motor blowing up, but that doesn't mean they are "good". search on the internet (or even this forum), there have been more than one report of them sucking real bad. most other oil filters are relatively comparable. i don't recall the details but they are inferior in design and materials and are much more likely to recirculate oil without filtering it due to a bad or lack of drain back mechanism. again..it's been awhile, but there's info to read about them, they are by far the worst oil filter in circulation. if i ever want advice on advertising and marketing a product i would go to them, but for quality oil filters go elsewhere.

it's not so much that i don't like them as they are crap. yes there are plenty of people that use them without the motor blowing up, but that doesn't mean they are "good". search on the internet (or even this forum), there have been more than one report of them sucking real bad. most other oil filters are relatively comparable. i don't recall the details but they are inferior in design and materials and are much more likely to recirculate oil without filtering it due to a bad or lack of drain back mechanism. again..it's been awhile, but there's info to read about them, they are by far the worst oil filter in circulation. if i ever want advice on advertising and marketing a product i would go to them, but for quality oil filters go elsewhere.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

(and stop following me)

nipper

Our local dtealership charges two dollars more, $2.00 folks, less than the cost of a decent cup of coffee. They do a competant fluids check of the entire car, fill up the windshield washer if it's low, AND wash the car.

Plus they have free coffee ... it ain't gormet, but it ain't Navy either. Plus I get to hang around and talk Subarus with Justin the young service writer (who just may be a lurker on this board ... HI Justin!).

It took a while to break The Pretty One from dropping into Mr. Lube Rack or wherever, but she's now trained.

So, my answer is, if you live anywhere near a dealership, why risk it.

OK. You all convinced me to go to the dealership for another oil change at that pretty new service center they built about a year ago.

Used a coupon. They got me right in. Had them drop in a new air filter as well. Took half an hour. Coffee was Starbucks. TV was 42" Sony plasma next to gas fireplace. Comfy.

Forgot to ask them to save the air filter for me. Ticks me off that they didn't take the time to show it to me just for general info, especially when simply dropping in the filter cost me three bucks shy of a complete oil change.

Pis... made me angry that they left the car sitting unattended and unlocked in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city out in front of the shop. There was a 6"x5" job-number tag tossed on the dash and one of their plastic dealer license plates tucked under the wiper blade. The cashier simply took my money, handed me my key and told me where it was parked. I noticed the "dealer tag" under the wiper as I drove off. Had to pull to the side of the BLVD and remove it before I hit the freeway.

They re-adjusted my seat, three mirrors AND the steering wheel (haven't checked to see if they re-programmed my radio!)

Checked the oil level and it's all good. They did fill the windshield wash resevoir with water and I do feel good about the tech side of the experience, but GEEZE, more than one person dropped the customer service ball on this one and made everyone there look incompetent

Maybe I'll fill out the customer service questionnaire that Subaru USA always sends me after I use this shop, but I don't want to make someone there cry.

Still, I'm checking the oil level in the morning.

Juan

Honestly, I think that it's kind of 50/50 between a dealer or a quicky lube place. How do I know? I worked at both.

I worked at a Jiffy lube for about 6 months. A really busy one too. Alot of times these places get really busy, especially on a Saturday. And the faster people work, the more mistakes they make. I don't think that we ever had a problem with the wrong filter going on, or double gasketing the new filter. We were pretty good about that. Drain plugs may have gotten overtightened a bit in a rush but we never used any kind of "power tool" to put a drain plug in. On the other hand I've seen reports of people using impact guns and air tools to put in drain plugs and I know that there are some really crappy quicky lube places around. My advice is to not go on a weekend. Go during the week if you can. Take an early or late lunch and do it then. If the shop is slower, there's less stress and less chance a mistake will be made.

I also worked at a Chevy dealer for over a year doing nothing but tire rotations and oil changes. And nipper is right. I didn't have any kind of formal "car tech" training and they tossed me right in. During that year we had a couple guys come and go and they basically hired anyone off the street. At a dealership you get paid flat rate (at least we did at mine) We got paid .3 of an hour per oil change. And there is no way in hell that you can do a good oil change in .3 of an hour. Not with all the checks they want you to do. That's 18 minutes to go find the car, drive it in the shop, put it on the lift, change the oil, check the tires, grease the chassis, check the other fluids and filters, put the car back down, do the computer work and drive the car out. So again, the tendancy is to rush to get as many cars in as you can to get as much money as you can. Because if you go slow, someone else get's the cars and you lose money.

The best thing about a dealership is that you get OEM parts. I'm a big believer in that. Rarely anything non OEM goes on any of our 3 cars.

However like I said, it's basically a crap shoot. I say do it yourself if possible. It's really not hard to do. Try the dealer first and a quick shop 2nd. Or if you find a good quicky place and want to use OEM parts or your own oil, buy them yourself and bring them in. Most places are cool with that and will use oil and filters you bring them. But that's just more running around for you to do and probably will end up costing you more money. Dealerships also do not usually show you filters/fluids if they need replaced. We just tell the service writer and they try to make the sale. More than anything it's the person that's doing the work. Not where your getting the work done.

Thanks, MINI T.A.

Learned a lot about oil changes from your post. I guess I lose sight of the fact that an oil change is making money for someone else, be it a product manufacturer, a dealer/shop owner or the person changing the "Texas Tea".

Who would have thought to take in the rig on any day OTHER than a Saturday? Makes sense. I'm sure the same logic can be applied to other service situations (like,maybe, a hair cut?)

Juan

no subaru dealer around here [ 1 hour away] when i had my 2000 one of the places mixed up the tranny filter and the oil filter , they used a clamp style oil filter wrench and removed the tranny filter ,and then put it back on , it starting leaking tranny fluid :slobber: , so from then on i did it my self