Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22t into ej18

jeffast

i'm talking with a friend and we're gonna try and put an ej22t into an early ninties impreza. i'm curiouse what do i need for this swap?
Complete front wiring harness (to include the dash wiring harness) from a Turbo Legacy that the engine came from. It would be a good idea to get the tranny and rear diff too. The Legacy axles from the turbo should work on the Impreza as well.

Complete front wiring harness (to include the dash wiring harness) from a Turbo Legacy that the engine came from. It would be a good idea to get the tranny and rear diff too. The Legacy axles from the turbo should work on the Impreza as well.
the donor legacy is an auto the impreza is 5spd kinda want to keep the 5spd

i'm not lucky this is strictly a project car, just curiouse are there any sources as to how strong or weak the trannies are?

try legacycentral...

that's the largest group of t-leg owners I've found.. for sure someone has swapped in a weaker tranny and blown it up :clap:

try legacycentral...

that's the largest group of t-leg owners I've found.. for sure someone has swapped in a weaker tranny and blown it up :clap:

Not likely, the turbo manual tranny has a hydraulic clutch, the N/A ones are cable. It wouldn't be a simple conversion.

Not likely, the turbo manual tranny has a hydraulic clutch, the N/A ones are cable. It wouldn't be a simple conversion.

How much money do you want to spend?

Personally, I am a proponent of switching to the cheap everyday NA 5mt tranny and running slighly less sticky tires. 100's of launches and nary a broken gear.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=29014

*shrug*

IIRC you can use the impreza harness and ad the wires for boost stuff.

a cheaper option for crossmember is to build a custom uppipe from the NA impreza header to turbo and retain the stock crossmember, could actually be faster/easier than swapping crossmembers and certainly cheaper if you weld.

IIRC you can use the impreza harness and ad the wires for boost stuff.

a cheaper option for crossmember is to build a custom uppipe from the NA impreza header to turbo and retain the stock crossmember, could actually be faster/easier than swapping crossmembers and certainly cheaper if you weld.

it's only like four bolts to swap the crossmember if i'm not crazy, but i've been wrong before

its actually 10 bolts, 4 into the frame, 4 on the rack, and 2 for the control arms.

cheapest Ive seen a turbo crossmember go for in a while was 175.

custom uppipe means no paying 175 for a turbo crossmember plus a turbo exhaust setup. not swapping crossmembers means not risking breaking steering rack bolts which frequently break. not saying its the best way, but it may be a cheaper way, and is a good alternative if you weld, just a different way to do it.

Highjacking Jeff's thread (with guns) :lol:

threadjacked.gif

Anyhoo... if one were to forgo the turbo cross member and build a fancy up pipe, would one just cut the Y and run it straight up to the turbo from directly below the turbo? Is what I'm thinking right?

die phil, this is my thread