Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lap around the famous Nordschleife in a MY92 Legacy

Guest Legacy777

That was freakin SWEEEEET!!

I'd kill to do a lap on that track. Tires seemed to be giving you pretty good feedback as far as noise and how far you push them. What sort of speeds were you running around the track? Did you change the steering rack to a quicker rack. It looked to have a lot steering input then my stock sucker. I may need to do something about that ;)

Very cool indeed!

Guest LeoneTurbo

Standard rack, turns lock to lock is 3.3.

Avarage speed is just over 120 km/h, around 75 mph. At some bits it gets up to 190 - 200 km/h (125 mph), at others speed drops to under 80 km/h (50 mph).

Suspension has STi Group A bushings and IMpreza Turbo shocks and springs. Also added a rear roll bar (18 mm) from a air suspension equipped TouringWagon. Front bar is standard at 16 mm.

Brakes are 2-pot callipers front (early Impreza Turbo) and Legacy 2.2 discs rear (standard were drums). Obviously the car has 4WD.

Guest LeoneTurbo

The tires are crappy. They're very cheap ($ 55 each) 205/50R16 tires, GT Radial (= brand, made in Indonesia) Champiro 50 (= type). Never buy them! Spend more money on a good tire from a well known manufacturer!

I run them on Speedline 16x7J rims.

Guest Legacy777

I've got a set of Goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3's. 205/45 r16 They're a pretty good tire. Sidewalls are a little soft for my liking. They don't give the steering response/feel I'd like, but they stick pretty good.

Guest LeoneTurbo

I'll probably buy a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tires, I had them on my Leone Turbo and they were fab.

But, as money is a bit tight now, I'm not sure if I can afford them!

Josh, are you the only one who has downloaded the video so far?

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I watched it. Not sure if I understand everything I saw but then I'don't have any background in racing. I assume with proper headgear (what about fire extinguisher or other stuff?) anyone may use the course? How much does it cost or is there just some 'occupancy' limit? I have been told there is a small course east of dallas I would'nt mind trying sometime(but the OBW is actually my wife's - I'd probably have to sneak it over there). Looked like he was cornering almost as good as some of those 'donor-cycles'(there goes my next kidney<g>) And yeah, I thought the tires were doing a good job on the audible feedback - I'd hate having some that DIDN'T at least chirp some before turning loose! Was the video some sorta arrangement with the track? the 8200rpm site? or just your personal edting?

Very enjoyable!

Guest Legacy777

Carl,

Texas motorspeedway is up past Denton area. There was a subaru only autocross in dallas two weekends ago. There's people that autocross on a monthly basis.

Where in texas are you at? I'm in Houston.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I'm in Arlington. Got the '03 OBW H6 3.0 AT (we gotta find an easier way to express that - I don't type!) about 3 weeks ago. Was drinin it pretty hard til I stumbled across the page in the owner's book about break-in - yikes! I hope I didn't hurt anything!

So far things are good. I had to sorta' purchase it without doing as much research (actually OVER-research) as I'd like. Youngest daughter wrecked Windstar van and this Subaru id replacement for that vehicle. Not being a 'scheduled' purchase we couldn't just walk in and by anything we wamted - and actually this purchase was 2-3K more that I had hoped to spend. Although the van and this car are refered to as my wife's - I probably put 1/2 the miles on the van - I expect about the same usage of the OB. We drove/looked at about 8-10 vehicles. Eliminated 1-2-3 for price almost immediately, some others a little small/busy, different reasons. cargo room was important as we are gem/jewelry hobbyists who do a half dozen shows a year and actually having AWD may come in handy once/twice a year on Rockhounding field trips. Have owned/driven some odd vehicles in the past and of course had some of my own prejudices when we were shopping - based of course on anecdotal experience mostly. I will say that the OB won over the Hyundai santa fe because of 2-3 'creature comforts' AND better mileage AND it's 'Japanese' (I know-assembled in the US). It has about 10 less cubic feet of cargo volume but' it's mostly in height - floor space about the same. Probably drive to Colorado every year or 2 - not a lot of miles. So far, a coupla' plastic pieces have fallen off and there is occasional miss/vibration at idle. I'll complain when it goes in for it's first oil change. I discovered a bum deal today when I went to get the metal plates - the front plate is just screwed into the fron buper! Right throgh the palstic with what looks like wood screws! damn Texas law! Pissed me off messin' up the bumper like that plus i don't think the plate is all that secure. 2 screws, cycled twice now through the same holes, holding the top of the front plate on! crazy.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest JEGIII

Watched the video. Very cool! Wish I had a street car to run like that. Maybe when the '05 Legacy GT's show up. Anyway, looked like fun.

Guest Legacy777

Carl,

I think you made a good choice. You should be ok with the break-in thing. Tolerances are a lot better on newer cars, so the whole "break-in" thing is "less" of an issue, but still should be adhear'd to.

How many miles are on it. When's the first scheduled oil change due? Personally I'd change the oil at 1500 miles, even if you do it yourself or pay to have it done at the dealer, I'd feel more comfortable since it's a new motor.

The front license plate thing sucks. I still have my washington plates. I need change over, most likely after I move in august. I still won't put that damn front plate on. I'll take my chances. Washington has the front plate law, but i took it off when I left the state. I've been back a couple times, and never been bothered. Oh well.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Well, even if I leave the plate off there's those damn holes!

Got about 820 miles. The first 'scheduled' change is at either 3K or 3750 depending on whether you listen to the book or the salesman.(book says 7500 after that - I plan to doit about every 5K) I plan to drive to Co Spgs in August and I doubt we'll have much more than 1500 or so miles on it and I plan to take it in for service before the trip so we'll be taking your advice almost by accident! I wonder if they'll be putting in 10W-30 or what?

Also, the book seems to indicate use of 87 octane as an emergency only but I haven't noticed any knock or ping. I figure the 'puter just handles the issue. Think I MUST use 91?

thanx

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest meep424

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

I ran higher-end bridgestones on our '97 5spd, and loved'em until they got way older. Still had tread but stunk in h2o. would buy again, but would prefer the softer rubber (ordered potenzas re910 but was shipped turanza... oh well..drove 'em anyway).

I wish the video gave better understanding of speed -- they never do -- great sound tho!!! Also best resolution I've seen with these Internet-distributed cockpit shots.

Mike!

Guest Legacy777

If you run dino oil, I'd suggest a little more frequent changes then 5k. If you want to run synthetic, I don't see a problem with extending change intervals to 5k, as long as you use a good filter.

They'll probably use 10w30. It's a pretty standard weight.

The computer will adjust to octane. The a/f-timing maps are set to run on a minimum octane. If you use lesser octane, the computer can and will listen to the engine for knock and if some occurs, it will retard timing. The car will still be driveable, but it will have reduced power.

Guest LeoneTurbo

Me? Nope, 16" Impreza wheels will fit without mods on all Legacy's.

Music is Junkie XL, song title I forgot...

Guest james hogan

This is my first night with DSL and that was my first vid.

Superb.

The closest I come to running for fun are the gravel fire breaks in the VA mountains.

Tight, twisty, well kept roads ( Interior dept) that snake through the mountains.

Always at night. Late at night. Helmet manditory.

My brother in law recons in front of me to the end and we use two way radios for alerts and such. Fairly safe, no homes or traffic, just one way on and and one way off.

Animals are a different story.

Great video, well done.

Regards,

Jay

Edit for sleepy spelling.

Guest Setright

Last Friday I had my first lap on the old 'ring. It's everything they say it is! Sticking to a self imposed 70mph limit, I didn't really push it. Better to sit back and let the lunatics on motorbikes fly by and just take in the enormity of the track and its history.

Car is a 1992 Legacy, 2.2GX 4WD, 136ps. Springs are dampers are new, but standard - I use the car for work and need the height and comfort. Brakes are EBC discs and Mintex pads. I use a K&N panel filter and have modified the intake.

I run Bridgstone Potenza's, 195/60R15, on 6.5 inch wide rims, offset 49mm. Top notch tyre, wet or dry. Progressive and forgiving, but still very grippy.

Subaru is one of few manufacturers that still insist on using "break-in oil", which must be replaced after 1000 miles. Trust good old Sube to do things differently!

Cant say if they do so on American models.

Drive safe, Emil

Guest Legacy777

Hey Emil,

Glad you found the board.

I'd love to go for a drive on this track. Looks like just an amazing track.

Guest calebz

Josh,

Thanks for the info on the track in denton.. thats only 30 miles away from me.. I notice you said you still have washington plats on your car.. me too.. just got here though..

Nice to know I'm not alone in the world of few soobs.. there don't seem to be too many down here.

Marnix. cool video. Thanks for sharing. do you remember talking last year about a possible swap of ECUs for the EA82 turbos?

Guest Legacy777

Hey Caleb,

Yeah there's not many older subies, even my generation. Mainly WRX's and 2000+ style legacies or outbacks.