Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im looking at jumping back into the subaru world...

Im looking at getting this 89 GL sedan that i found forsale in my area. it has 4wd and the 3spd auto tranny:-\ and aparently thats the bad part its got a bad tranny, I know i can find a butload of ea82 crap in the pull a part yard so im not to worried about that. im not sure i want to jump into a full duel range swap or whatnot if it is a decent car and runs good i may pick it up and find another tranny to swap into it and just drive it with the auto... might be nice for a change.

how terrable are the automatics and what kinda issues should i look for in the car. what kinda fuel milage could i expect with the spfi and the auto tranny.:confused:

thanks guys.

top speed with an auto is about 75. but yeah, for around town it's alright. i've never known them to be unreliable when well taken care of, but I really don't have much experience with autos. you'd probably be getting around 22 round the block, 25 freeway. a 5 speed would definitely be the way to go eventually. my 89 5spd 2wd sedan gets 38 mpg if i'm nice to it. 32 is actually the worst i've gotten since i did a tune-up... but i really had to beat on it bad. i know what everybody's thinkin... "38 mpg? yeah right." that's the same thing i said when i calculated the mileage. it was within the first 3 gallons of gas, that's about where you get the best mileage.

top speed with an auto is about 75. but yeah, for around town it's alright. i've never known them to be unreliable when well taken care of, but I really don't have much experience with autos. you'd probably be getting around 22 round the block, 25 freeway. a 5 speed would definitely be the way to go eventually. my 89 5spd 2wd sedan gets 38 mpg if i'm nice to it. 32 is actually the worst i've gotten since i did a tune-up... but i really had to beat on it bad. i know what everybody's thinkin... "38 mpg? yeah right." that's the same thing i said when i calculated the mileage. it was within the first 3 gallons of gas, that's about where you get the best mileage.

Ild get that with mine too, so dont feel bad

nipper

I had a '91 loyale with a 3spd auto tranny... worst auto tranny ever... very sluggish... horrible up steep hills in 4wd...

never again will I own an EA series auto... sold it to the ex-in-laws...

of course, I hate automatics in general... they have made society into lazy, dangerous, inconsiderate drivers... (:

--Spiffy

yea i have to agree..the 3 speed autos suck. Mine has problems going up long hills cause of the gearing and its got no low end. I get about 25mpg on the highway with it so i know the engines running about right. Its doing about 4 grand at 75 though so i would go 5 speed swap if i were you. As of now my car is torn apart for a 5 speed swap. Got almost everything i need and cant wait to shift my own gears. You'll regret the auto real quick.

I've got a '93 Loyale with the auto. Top speed = doo doo. It's terrible for road trips, but it hasn't been unreliable at all. Car's got 130k on the original engine/tranny and it runs like a champ. It's gutless as all get-out, but whatever. It's a Subaru! I'm used to it! As far as 0-60 MPH goes, it's a hair faster than my EA81 hatch (4 spd. D/R).

All in all, I don't mind it so much, except it's never gotten better than 25 MPG.

There is another suby im looking at also.. its a bit farther away. its an 85 wagon with 4wd..and a 5sp but needs some work I may take a look at it also.

I could find all the parts i need for a 5sp swap but i have searched and it does seem a little in depth.

If you have to change the tranny I would vote on a conversion to manual if possible.

I have a couple of the auto models. One FWD and one AWD. The FWD is an 89 and has worked fine with no issues other than sluggish on hills unless you put the petal to the metal. It's a tubo model so it's got a little extra pep over the 86 AWD one. That one eats govenor gears and needs the internal gear changed. I have replacement parts but with no garage I'm not to motivated at this time.

The AWD is used by a friend that is a left AKA so not likely to be converted. He hasn't done any off roading with it. Uses a K5 Blazer for that! I drive the FWD and have the same issue but do drive one standard (Diesel Ford Van) but the 89 is not worth investion any money in as it's rusted!! Millage is fair for an auto, 25 on the average with out rodding it.