Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GATES timing belts -yay or nay?!

Hey all,

I dont seem to find a lot of info after searching around here, sooooooo.....

What are everybodys thoughts about Gates timing belts for subies?

Normally, Im an OE or nothin kinda guy.....but after 3 years of selling toyota parts at the stealership, and seeing all the Gates timing belts that went on the 'yotas (and the senior toyota techs that swore by them) Well........

:confused:

At present time, I am fairly convinced that Gates is an adequate alternative to O.E. subaru.

Feedback?

first what engine? if it's an interference engine i always go with Subaru only. if it's a non-interference engine then i'm open to more options. if this is for your Baja, then go with Subaru for sure.

i've used them with no problems, but don't know mileages i got out of them. i think regreasing or replacing your timing pulley bearings is more important than what brand belt you use. belts break all the time from failed bearings, new or old, soob or not.

i'll go ahead and tell you that there are plenty of people on here that will swear you must use subaru belts or your engine will kill you. they're coming....

i'll go ahead and tell you that there are plenty of people on here that will swear you must use subaru belts or your engine will kill you. they're coming....

Its actually for my 2.2 legacy. The whole car cost me 250.00, and its got 250k on the motor/trans. I dont wanna go el-cheapo on the parts.....but if a Gates belt is just as good, why pay full pop for parts on a car that already has rust & other issues.

I just posted this to fish for "horror stories" if there were any.....and if that IS the case, Ill just go OE :confused:

Thanks all!

first what engine? if it's an interference engine i always go with Subaru only.

I work for a power equipment company, and our OEM belts aren't always the best. So long as they pass our tests, we use 'em. I suspect Subaru operates similarly.

I can't comment on Gates auto belts, but I've used Gates belts on my snowmobiles and they last much longer than OEM belts.

+1 on the thumbs up for Gates belts. They are one of the only brands I would trust other than OEM (and being a fromer Honda guy I have used alot of t-belts over the years). My personal brand of choice is Dayco, though. The belt I just put on my '97 OBS was a Dayco belt, which I installed with all new Dayco pullies. I got them from www.rockauto.com and I think I paid like $22 for the belt and $150 for the pully kit. If you buy both at the same time they warranty the whole package for 60k miles.:D

Okay...twice in how long?

With what results?

OK, I shoulda been mo pacific. Once at 60k, then again at 110,000 when I R2 the water pump as well. No signs of wear, looked new really.

Who makes the subie belts? It's always easier to outsource supplies like that than to make them yourownself.

I have used sveral Gates timing belts in my 91 Legacy (T172? the part number from memory). No problem, when removed at 60k interval look damn near new.

I know an OPINION is an OPINION, but I dont buy the argument that OEM parts are far superior. In many case they are not really OEM(Original Equipment Manufactured) but simply OEA (Origianl Equipment AQUIRED)-bought from the same parts suppliers that are subcontractors that supply both the production facilities as well as the aftermarket. I worked for one such subcontrator, they were under INTENSE pressure to shave off costs for the OEM products supplied to the Big Auto manufacturers for thier production facilities.

I use STANT thermostats in my subies, OTC PCV valves, Purolater and Walmart oil filters, etc. no problems despite the dire warnings posted by some on this board-but again I respect thier opinions. I in general go to the dealer for parts I cannot get else where, and put up with inferior delivery and higher prices(where i can get a competitive quote) as well as reduced parts dept hours versus the parts stores. But you dont get to look at the new models in the lobby of the Orilelly's!

If you think that OE makes 100% of everything your living in the 1950's.

Now having worked for an autopart manufacturer (who was trying to become an OE supplier), i can tell you what goes on (but no one listens anyway lately it seems). We had to jump through hoops to meet OE specs, they were tough. OUr very best product went to OE, our 2nd best went to our product line. We chared accordingly. It wasnt that our stuff was bad, it was the fact that OE wanted better.

Anyone can sell autoparts, as they wont get a lawsuit or the federal goverment after them (as long as they arent killing people).

There is a HUGE differnce between OE and aftermarket, unless your lucky enough, or smart enough to buy from the same supplier. Even then its not a guarentee that it will be as good as OE. If its a small supplier (liek for Subaru, a small producer) odds are they will be equal. If its a large producer, it may not.

nipper

In many case they are not really OEM(Original Equipment Manufactured) but simply OEA (Origianl Equipment AQUIRED)-bought
that's decades old information and not the issue. manufacturers can still demand certain quality control and specifications. just because they outsource doesn't bind them to any one particular supplier and take away their control. far from it. do you think wal-mart has cheap prices because they "know where to look" and get products from some alien source that other places don't know about? no, they are directly involved in setting the prices and tell manufacturers what they want to sell stuff for. same with OEM stuff...they can dictate to some extent what quality the product is.

but i'm with you, i'll use non OE stuff sometimes. i don't think it's a big deal, though i'll stick with Subaru on the interference engine timing belts and water pumps. everyone draws their lines in different places and there's nothing wrong with that. not sure why this turns into an argument? does it matter what muffler you use? not really? timing belts, maybe. where you draw the line in between depends on lots of factors and personality apparently!