Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Needed Again!

I have a 1984 Subaru Turbo 4 Wheel Drive ..2 door..Automatic..

Engine size 1.8

I have received much appreciated help here before when I needed a turbocharger and a fuel pump and I got lucky finding and purchasing them from members here and my Subaru has ran great since!! :clap:

Unfortunately I find myself having to ask for help again as it seems to be having a unknown problem again? Not sure what happened actually. :confused: The other day I ran all over town. We were having a snow storm and the car ran fine. I had stopped and purchased gas in the middle of the day and thats when I noticed the car began to act up. It started jerking and acting like it was going to die and then ran fine. I knew something was wrong but wasnt sure. I took my daughter and granddaughter home.. about another 10 miles. I then headed for home.. I'm about home and the car just shut off..like someone shut off the key..and then would not start..right on top of a bridge. I knew I had just put gas in earlier so it wasnt lack of gas. I tried to restart the car and it would not start at all. It just cranks over until my battery almost goes dead...but it will not start just like before when it was the fuel pump. My daughters boyfriend had just put the fuel pump on in about Aug..the pump was new btw ..anyway..it started right up and has run great until now. *Update* Just found out it is not the fuel pump.. filter.. fuses.. checked plugs getting spark to the distributer cap only..thinking new distributer cap and rotor?? Is there some other things I should be checking out as well?? I also was told you can interchange the fuel pump for this car with a Ford F-150 but I have forgotten what year they said?? I appreciate the input and all the help this site has given me in the past so..once again i'm asking for your help!

Thank You Again!!

Definately sounds ignition related the way it just shut off completely. If you suspect the cap and rotor then go for it - I've seen similar effects on other cars. Do you know how old the set is? If none of the ignition parts have been changed that you are aware of, then cap, rotor, plugs and wires should all just be done at the same time so you know the age of everything.

Or just trade that pesky EA81T to me. I'll trade ya straight across for my 86 sedan - Weber, 5 speed D/R, etc ;)

GD

Exactly what we're going to do tomorrow.. changing it all..hoping it works! I dont know how long since they've been changed.. another reason for doing so..keeping my fingers crossed! As for the trade.. I'm thinking..I'm gonna give it back to my daughter and buy me something brand new!! The dang thing will probably run forever after all the money i've put into it lately..that would be my luck! :D

Definately sounds ignition related the way it just shut off completely. If you suspect the cap and rotor then go for it - I've seen similar effects on other cars. Do you know how old the set is? If none of the ignition parts have been changed that you are aware of, then cap, rotor, plugs and wires should all just be done at the same time so you know the age of everything.

Or just trade that pesky EA81T to me. I'll trade ya straight across for my 86 sedan - Weber, 5 speed D/R, etc ;)

GD