Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto to manual trans. Good idea?

Jerry R

Hello, New member here. Neat site you all have here. Lots of good information to be had, thats for sure.

In the past I've owned four Subaru wagons and now am the proud owner of a 1988 GL Hatchback 4wd.

Got it cheap as it needs a transmission. Body is in very good condition. Currently it has a 3 spd auto. And from what I've read so far on here, the auto is less than the best trans for a Sube. And I would tend to agree.

My question. Is it worth converting this Hatch to a 5sp, hi/lo range, 4wd?

I can get an auto trans for $400.00. Will probably cost more than that to convert. And can do the work myself. And can do the conversion myself also.

Just curious as to the real benefits of having a 5spd hi/lo range 4wd. Mileage should be better. More power obviously. Plus they are more fun to drive.

Thanks in advance for the input. Looking forward to your ideas.

Jerry Robinson

Depending on where you get the major parts from (tranny, pedal cluster, instrument cluster, driveline, etc) it'll be fairly cheap. I would try sourcing the parts here on the board first. Secondly, is this an EA81 hatchback or is it an EA82 coupe? Benefits for both vehicles would be, lower highway crusing RPMs, better mileage, more power to the wheels, plus the luxury of it being a manual. If its an EA81 hatchback, then you'll need certain parts to get it to work, plus there is a board member who makes a special kitto fit a d/r 5-speed into that body style and to keep the look of the stock EA81 4wd shift linkage. I believe his kit runs $100 but you can never tell that the 5-speed never came in that car.

You've got my vote for it!! Here's a little bit of info on one I did:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45000

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44680

Granted I wasn't doing a 4wd.. you just have to keep in mind that the transmission and rear differential have the same gear ratio. So, if your rear differential is currently a 3.9? you need to find a 5-spd transmission that aslo has the 3.9 on it. I'm not sure if you need the rear driveshaft or not.. someone who has done the swap on a 4wd will know.

If this is indeed an EA81 hatch, this info will be helpful to you:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67990

How do you tell if its an EA81 Hatch?

If it looks like:

gen1hb01.jpg

Its an EA81 Hatch

If it looks like:

gen4cp02.jpg

Its an EA82 Coupe

The Coupes are often called Hatchbacks, so that's why we have to verify yours is a hatchback.

OK. So I have a D/R 5 speed I just pulled from an 85 Turbo 4 door that has 3.7 gearing. I have just the trans. The vehicle I was going to put this into has 3.9 gears. I'm SOL w/o swapping to the 3.7s:confused: . I want the 3.9s and everything but...

Yep - you will have to swap. Also you will need the front axles from the donor (25 spline inner joint), and you realize that the turbo D/R is 1.2:1 low range right? With the 3.7:1 rear end, that makes 4WD low on that tranny about the same as 4WD Hi on the regular D/R. So you can think of it as not really haveing a low range at all (in comparison).

*edit* - my bad you have an 83? Then you need CUSTOM axles to run that tranny as no EA81 ever came with 25 spline DOJ's. They can be built though.

GD

Well something happened so I cannot edit the reply I JUST posted (WTF?!?!?!?). Can I take the 3.9 parts out of my D/R 4 speed and put them into the 5 speed D/R? Or am I stuck with the 3.7s on my soon to be lifted rig???

Beleive me - you really, REALLY don't want that tranny in a lifted rig. It's going to suck like a hoover. You would be in the same situation with a pushbutton single-range tranny, and it would be easier to install cause you wouldn't need $200 worth of custom axles made up.

And no - you can't swap the internals on the 4 and 5.

GD

Well something happened so I cannot edit the reply I JUST posted (WTF?!?!?!?). Can I take the 3.9 parts out of my D/R 4 speed and put them into the 5 speed D/R? Or am I stuck with the 3.7s on my soon to be lifted rig???

woa, are you sure you've got a dual range 5-speed from an '85 with a 3.7? I have trouble keeping track of the different gear ratios, but this might have the 1.2:1 lo range aswell (ones with the 3.9 will have 1.59:1).

I would say, find yourself an EA81 4-speed Dual range tranny. This will drop in without any modification. if you use an EA82 (5-speed), you'll need a custom driveshaft (as GD already mentioned), and some custom work on the crossmember and linkage aswell.

in fact, if you can, find yourself a donor car, one that's good and rusted out, or chrashed, or blown motor..... you'll need the pedal box, linkage, driveshaft, clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, trans crossmember, and tranny.

unless it's an EA82 3-door coupe (see pics above), in which case, never mind...

Wow!!! Just as I thought. Lots of info here. Thanks for all the input.

Come to find out I have an EA82 Coupe. With a 3.9 rear dif. And from what I'm understanding so far, it's doable and not too much if any beating and banging will be needed.

So I need to find an EA82 donor car with the same rear dif. ratio. Does the year matter?

Thanks for the links everyone. Great information there.

Jerry

Wow!!! Just as I thought. Lots of info here. Thanks for all the input.

Come to find out I have an EA82 Coupe. With a 3.9 rear dif. And from what I'm understanding so far, it's doable and not too much if any beating and banging will be needed.

So I need to find an EA82 donor car with the same rear dif. ratio. Does the year matter?

Thanks for the links everyone. Great information there.

Jerry

Auto's are 3.7 rear end, so if you have a 3.9 then something is wrong. Diff is easy to swap out though.

No beating will be required.

Doesn't matter too much what year you get the parts from - 85 to 89 non-turbo, dual range 4WD would be best.

GD

General. Looked under the car tonight and the metal tab on the rear dif says 3.9. Is that possible or am I seeing things. I'll double check in the AM.

So basicaly any 85-89 non turbo dual range 4wd 5spd donor car will work. Should be a bunch of them around. I'll have to go check out our local salvage yard. Unless someone has one available. Reasonable.

Thanks a lot.

Jerry

Never say never...

My 88 FSM shows an SPFI 3AT 3 Door Coupe with a 3.9 rear end.

Sedan and wagon though have a 3.7 rear end.

Wow - that's bizzare. I did have a '92 3AT loyale with a blown auto and a 3.9 in it, but the tranny had been "rebuilt" and I figured something had been messed with back there. Maybe it was stock afterall.

GD

Under the hood the engine family sticker says, JFJ1.8V5HFS7 (109cid spfi).

And I'm positive the metal tab on the rear dif said 3.9.

So I'm OK to go as far as converting this to a 5spd DL?

Sure hope so anyway.

Jerry

I have everything you need .. I don't know if you'd want to pay the shipping or not.. but I have 2 ea82 donors with good transmissions. One is PT4wd D/R out of an 86 wagon I believe. The other is PT4wd S/R (pushbutton) out of a 91 loyale. Both are 3.9. I'll sell you everything you need for $100 + shipping. I don't know how much shipping would be. It would probably have to be freight for a transmission. I would do a shipping quote for ~300 pounds from 85712 if you're interested.