Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto to manual trans. Good idea?

Jerry R

And I'm positive the metal tab on the rear dif said 3.9.

So I'm OK to go as far as converting this to a 5spd DL?

Sure hope so anyway.

Jerry

Having done the swap about 2 years ago, I also ran into that. The owners' manual says the non-turbo EA82s came with the 3.7. Turns out thats a typo. Apperantly all non-turbo EA82s have the 3.9, and just the turbos had the 3.7.

But then again, it could've been a option:confused:

Good luck with the swap.:) You won't regreat it:burnout:

Thanks for all the imput. I will be doing the swap, probably after the first of the year.

SuBrat84, Eli, is kind enough to part with some of his cherished Sube parts.

I'l keep you all posted as to the progress. And ask more questions I'm sure.

Later, Jerry

Someone mentioned it but for ease of availability in the future you don't want the 25 spline frnt axle stubs. you will want a dual range tranny from a non turbo car with the 23 spline. Otherwise you'll have to get the 25 spline axles and they are hard(er) to find and more expensive. Unless you are planning on REALLLLY big wheels or monster HP the 23 spline axles are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well life is good. The conversion is complete and everything works.

Recieved the replacement transmission last Friday from (Eli) SuBrat84. Everything needed to make the switch. New cluch disc/pressure plate, two rebuilt axles were put in.

Forgot how easy Subrau's are to work on. Had the 5sp D/L in by Sunday night. Most of the time spent was just figuring out how something comes apart. Not that much actual wrench time at all.

I don't think I have ever worked on an 18 year old car without rusted bolts. No kiddin'. Not one bolt broke off or stripped. That was a relief. I like Subaru's.

I want to thank everyone on here for your knowledge. Someone on here knows the answer to anything. Just ask. A special thanks to Eli for the awesome deal. Had what I needed along with some key advise. Got it to me in great condition quickly. Pleasure to do business with as well.

Thanks again, Jerry