Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found a 76 DL sedan today! Pics added

Good point - You'll probably never get it started using that gas - it gums everything up even after several monthss of sitting - carb may need to be cleaned as well. Even if it appears ok, change the oil & filter before starting it! Good luck and keep us posted!:burnout:

Ok I got it to run! Well sort of. I can't get the fuel pump to work. So I tried another one. Nothing. So I will have to go to my storage shed and get my extras to try them. I did not even get a response going straight to the battery. If I put gas into the carb it will run though. Oh man did it blow crap out the tail pipe. All kinds of nuts and stuff that mice use to build a nest.:lol:

It runs! I went and got one of the many gen1 Fuel pumps I have out of storage and it fired right up:headbang:. Put new plugs and wires in it too. I also discovered that the gas tank was empty. The gague in the dash reads full with the tank sending unit plugged in or not. Banging on it sounded pretty empty too. I poured some gas in the tank and it runs. Man did it smoke for a few minutes after start up.:lol: After I let it run I found the big oil leak around the oil pump. Can't tell exactly where it is leaking due to all the gunk on the motor. I then had to put brake fluid in and bleed all the brakes. There was absolutley no fluid left! Then time for a test drive. Drives pretty good for a car that has been sitting for 19 years. One thing I discovered, There must be a broken mount on the tranny. The back end of the tranny bangs against the floor when I am shifting. I can pick up the tranny by the shifter and wobble it around. I guess I will have to look into fixing that problem. So that is where I am at with this 76 DL at the moment.

I found a serious problem today, RUST:banghead: BAD RUST! I took some pictures too. Go back to the first page and click on the link. Tell me what you think. I know I can cut it out. I know I can weld new sheetmetal back in. I weld metal every day. That is what I do for a living. I just am not sure if it is worth it. I really like this little car but you have to draw the line somewhere. Let me know what you guys think would be the best way to go here.

This is going to be a question only you can answer im afraid. It all comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. From your pics it looks like the entire front floor pans need to be cut out and replacements welded in. If you are handy with a welder like you say you are this should not be too big an issue for you to handle. Just make sure when doing this to get ALL the rust or it will return. Also leave no bare metal showing when finished. I would por15 both the inside and the outside if it were my car. Now that its running and driving its worth more though and there are not many subs of that age on the road anymore. Again its your decision but i vote you break out the sawsall and and welder and get to work on that thing. It will be a very cool, unique car when completed. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you.

I just pulled out the back seat and the floor underneath is completely rusted out. Obviously the rear window seal went bad and it leaked. Again it can be fixed but a lot of work to do it. Will I be able to replace the rear window seal to keep this from happening again?