Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hatch project

DeathHatch

well i have finally decided that it has been too long since i have drove my subie. and well in about 2-3 weeks its going in the shop and some one else is going to help me finish this long awaited project and should come out a week or two later finally finished. all i have to do left is tcase mounting drivelines and brakelines oh and swap in new motor. will try to keep you guys updated.

well i have finally decided that it has been too long since i have drove my subie. and well in about 2-3 weeks its going in the shop and some one else is going to help me finish this long awaited project and should come out a week or two later finally finished. all i have to do left is tcase mounting drivelines and brakelines oh and swap in new motor. will try to keep you guys updated.

Might have it ready for a Spring run?:brow:

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: finally i have done quite a bit of work this weekend. i dropped the new motor in. i have put the tcase in place and also built a custom driveline. hooked up my brakes well the fronts that is next week geting braided lines. here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

this picture is of the custom driveline

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/jessicas_man/subie/Driveshaft.jpg

this is a picture of us being bored.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/jessicas_man/subie/subaruflex.jpg

ya sorry for the bad picture quality is was pretty dark out. and ya rob it sure has grown quite a bit.

Here, I lightened this one up a little so we could see it better.

Deathhatchsubaruflex.jpg

Looking good!

Wonder what it would look like next to mine?:brow:

Hard to believe that was my first lifted rig. Now its all growed up... snif:-p

I've got to ask - what is up with those shackles? They are ridiculously huge! Did you need to add that much lift? (I'm not bashing...it is an honest question.)

They are ridiculously huge, because of clearance issue I would imagine... Looks like 33" Xterrains, thats alot to clear when considering the small size of the wheel well...

Also to DeathHatch, I was wondering if you can tell us more about the rig... What axles are those? Toys? and what type of gearing you are running? Any lockers or LSDs or welded diffs? What tcase?

I am in the process of solid axle swapping my 89 GL wagon that is already Tcased... Should have the rear axle in it within a week... I will be running Toy axles with 5.29 gearing, rear welded, front detroit and a sammy tcase, also going with rancho 3" lift springs... It will be a bit of time before I have the front axle in and because of that I haven't quite put thought into the steering and was wondering if you cared to share what you are doing for yours?

Your rig looks great, Im really excited about getting mine up and running, maybe they will spark some more interest in SAS subies... To bad we are on opposite sides of the country be sweet to see what they can do together on the trail...

-caleb

Edit'd with a pic of my rig as it used to sit...

th_900a7d62.jpg

just a couple suggestions really quick. do a shackle reversal on the front end. that long of shackles in the front isn't going to track well. same reason jeeps do a shackle reversal. which springs are you using?

go with some 5 leaf waggoneer springs all around or with 63" chevy's in the rear. i got the 5 leaf waggy springs on my yota. very soft and flexy. otherwise it's looking great. still deciding whether i want to put the locked up dana 44's under my subaru. i have them lying around house.

keep us updated! july and august wheeling trips this year. i'm out of the corp and bringing lil' roo back up. also finishing up the toyota! check the off topic area for my toyota build. :drunk: cheers, and hope to see you on trail in a few months.

Update: just got the motor to roar again. put in the dizzy and runs like a champ.

to answer of the of the questions. the reason i have that long of shackles is because the guy who fabed it (friend) didnt know what else to do. they are comming off of the subaru unibody. they are 12" long shackles with 4" lift toyota springs. i am running 35" xterains and i was planning of dropping some hangers for the front and rear leafs so there not so long i am not quite sure what you mean by reversin them. i am running stock 85 yota axles i plan on locking both front and rear. i have a nissan tcase and have the d/r 5spd in front of that. i also plan on runnin at least 5.13 in the axles. lol and the steering yes the steering well rack now i have a 85 box but its a push and pull. i want to convert to a side to side because steering right now is very iffy. but thats all in the future.

12" shackle seems crazy long, maybe you could cut the front crossmember/spring hanger off a yota frame and weld it in there or just fab one like the toyota SAS people do.

I think what he meant by reversing the shackle is to put them at the back of the spring instead of the front, there are pros and cons to both setups.

shackle reversal, means to reverse the shackles on the springs. in other words search on the marlincrawler board, pirate board or nw-wheelers board. make drop hangers to mount the springs in the front and run the shackles in the rear.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69251

a link to my yota build.

that way it tracks better and you don't have crazy long shackles to stress and break stuff.

as for lockers, if you are running toyota axles. the proper gearing would be the 5.29's and just run aussie lockers front and rear. $260 each delivered to your door. and use the yukon gear sets, don't get the cheap brands.

www.offroadlockers.com

something else to think about or toss around, is upgrading to a toyota tcase. ott industries makes a divorced adapter for toyota cases... and then you can go to a doubler later on down the road... i have an extra laying around. it's a forward shift, so you'd have to convert it to a top shift. with a toy case and 5.29's you'll be at about 72.6:1 crawl ratio. same as a nissan, or round abouts. just a thought.

and for steering don't use the push pull out of an '85. they brake with big tires and bad bump steer with large lifts. i can look up all the details to make your own crossover steering kit, or buy a hysteer kit from www.trailgear.com. but use a steering box from an ifs toyota, to use side by side steering from a yota box.to make yourself a crossover steering, i think it's the passenger side steering link, rod or whatever it is from the ifs trucks you'll need also. then you can make you own crossover steering.

eventually upgrade to longfield 30spline shafts in the front http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com and chromoly's in the rear... or that's what i'm going to do...

ya i was thinking about all of the above and the only reason its done the way it is now is because lack of money at the time and knowledge. for right now im just trying to get the thing moving and get as much stuff to it done as possiable before i leave for basic. but thanks for all the suggestions and i am open to any thing if you guys come up with some thing.

have fun with being pampered in the airforce. that maid service we had when i stayed on an a/f base in kadena, okinawa, just killed me. or the pampered chef meals in the chow hall... and they were still complaining about how bad they had it... :Flame: have fun, and try not to use them stress cards in bootcamp... :brow: cakewalk, definately goodluck, and keep contributing to the goodwork our troops are doing!