Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 liter automatic. advanced auto parts said EGR code for the check engine light that just came on. unfortunately i wasn't there to see it and actually ask what the code number was.

i'm not familiar with EGR's since the XT6 doesn't have one, should i install a new one?

i'd do a search but since the search function doesn't do 3 letter words i'm kind of stuck.

2.2 liter automatic. advanced auto parts said EGR code for the check engine light that just came on. unfortunately i wasn't there to see it and actually ask what the code number was.

i'm not familiar with EGR's since the XT6 doesn't have one, should i install a new one?

i'd do a search but since the search function doesn't do 3 letter words i'm kind of stuck.

If the code is cleared, I wouldn't be too concerned unless it comes back quickly/multiple times.

Carl

EGR solenoid is no doubt the cause.

Driverside head at the rear is a metal tube going from the head to the

intake where it connects to the EGR valve proper.

Follow the rubber line connected to the valve -

it will lead to the solenoid.

Check it's windings for approx 35 ohms resistance.

If found to be open (infinite resistance) any Toyota or Honda solenoid of

similar configuration may be substituted.

Hope this helps.

I went thru some EGR issues on my 97 OB, 2.5L. I would think the circuits are pretty much the same (given the year and engines).

First off, one needs to be sure the passageways are clean.

With mine, they found that the diaphram was torn (whatever the little device is that sits right on top). They changed, it, but that did not fix the problem. They changed out the bracket with the metalic piece of vacuum hose that runs under the throttle cable in case there were leaks there, but that was not the problem. (It was inexpensive, so I said to go for it.) Then some solenoid was changed and the code finally disappeared.

It never affected driving or gas mileage that I could notice (and neither would I really expect it to, given how these circuits work). It was like that for about a year in total before it finally got resolved.

A year or so before all this happened, I got the EGR code P0400, but they could not find anything wrong. It ended up being the pressure sensor that mounts on the passenger strut tower. It apparently senses manifold and atmosphere pressure and provides some input to the auto trany shift algorithms. As a secondary function, it looks for a change in the manifold pressure when the EGR is triggered. What had happened was that this sensor was actually failing. On top of this, I had noticed that my shifts were sometimes a bit sluggish, as if something was slipping a bit. After the sensor was changed, the EGR CEL disappeared and my shifts went back to normal.

Commuter

• 6 months later...

i replaced the EGR valve, cleaning out all the passages along the way. replaced the solenoid as well. still getting the EGR code and the erratic shifting is really annoying from this thing (automatic).

replaced the valve and solenoid...what next? i tested both solenoids too, both tested fine and got a code with both, so don't think those are the issue.