Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 into an EA82

mellow65

Ok random thought when I was board at work today. It seems the concisest on this forum is the EA81 engine pretty much kicks rump roast except for it's achilles heel of the carb. So a SPFI ea81 seems to be the best of both worlds.

So here is the question, has anyone swapped a ea81 engine into a ea82. The power rating really isn't that much lower and that's rated with a carb so maybe a SPFI would make the power equal to the EA82 power. Sure you would need to more or less do the SPFI swap on the ea81 engine, not a big deal.

Any one else ever thought of this.

I don't know just random thought for the day. This is what I do when I'm board at work.

I've heard if you use the torque Delta cam it is much better. And I believe the only differences in performance come from the cam (just my belief.) I would highly recommend it, but thats cos I like the EA81. And I hate working on EA82's, too much stuff on top of them. And timming belts are for people with heaps of time to replace them.

But if you are going to put one in, I reckon you should do it up first. SPFI is cool, plus a delta cam, maybe some new rings while your there and a really nice clean should make it feel happier :grin::headbang:

I tried it, you have to get the clutch and pressure plate right, cause if you don't you'll get massive slip.

If you're using the EA82 Tranny, you can just use the EA82 flywheel/clutch combo, right? Shouldn't be any more slip than you get with an EA82 behind it.

I say go for it.

That's kind of what I was thinking, that it wouldn't be to crazy to do. I'm looking at my leaking water pump on my ea82 wagon and i just cringe in the thought of doing it. I look at my ea81 wagon and, oh there it is, 4 or 5 bolts and 15 min and i would be done.

I am truly starting to hate the ea82 motor, head gaskets, timing belts, all this crap and it's not easy to get to.

I love the ea81 wagons but I do have a thing for the ea82 sedans, lifted of course. This picture has inspired me to find a sedan. But I hate that damn ea82 motor and want just a simple motor with the spfi so thats what made me ask the question.

0.jpg

this is DrKrazys picture, hope he doesn't mind me borrowing it, it's just so inspiring.

Yes, we all love DrK's sedan. That thing is sweet.

I hate EA82s for their headgaskets, timing belts and lack of room to work in the front of the car. If EA81Ts weren't so hard to find, I'd even consider dropping one in my XT. Instead, I'm thinking EJ22, or those JDM EJ20s that GD keeps talking about.

But that's for the next time my EA82T blows up.

I hate EA82s for their headgaskets, timing belts and lack of room to work in the front of the car.

Amen if I have to chew my knuckles up on that damn radiator one more time doing a timing belt i may just go nuts.

I have decided to keep my lovely ugly ea81 wagon and send my loyale wagon on it's way.

I just like the simple beast that those ea81s are, and with a spfi it's just the best of both worlds.

Next step, striping the parts loyale that i bought for the fuel injection system.