Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good pics of EJ22 wiring

Numbchux

So, as I mentioned in my other thread, I'm helping a buddy swap an EJ22t into his N/A gen 1 Legacy. as part of this swap, he's wiring in an aftermarket, standalone ECU. so we've got the entire dash out, and have been tinkering. so I took a few pics of what the car looks like with the dash off, but the wiring still in the car, and labled a few things worth noting. Also, these pics are with the HVAC ductwork still installed. this will all need to be removed to effectively pull all the wiring you'll need. but you can still see many of the connectors that you will later be working with here.

I have resized these pics for posting on the general forums, but they will be in higher resolution, aswell as include better descriptions in the full write-up. hopefully to be ready for distribution by the end of the year....

Passenger side:

PICT2315.jpg

in the center, towards the left, you can see the blower motor. The large grey metal box, with the black relay next to it, are parts of the cruise control unit. it's probably possible to get this to work in a swap. but will add a level of complexity. I would recommend using an EA cruise system, as it has it's own harness, and attaches to the throttle pedal...aswell as plugs right into the dash and steering wheel mounted buttons.

Underneath the cruise box are a number of connectors that lead back into the rear of the car. virtually all of these are unneeded. they're for power locks, windows, tail lights, etc. all of these functions will still be controlled by the EA harness. although, I beleive the fuel pump wire does go back through there. but you can cut it off closer to the relay, and splice it into the EA harness under the dash.

Drivers side:

PICT2308.jpg

Here you can see where we've started marking each individual wire that goes to the ECU, since we will be cutting off the ECU plugs and splicing in others. For an EJ swap, you won't be doing this, but marking the wires may make identifying where they go much easier!

also, I've circled the blue and white connectors under the steering column. These are the ones that go up into the Dash. you will need more than a few wires from this cluster, although it's easiest to identify them by tracing them from the ECU. (I have not found a good pinout of those connectors...)

you may also want to remove the steering column, aswell as it's support bar. this well simplify the removal of the harness aswell.

location of main/ignition, and fuel pump relays:

PICT2310.jpg

This is in the farthest/highest left hand corner of the cabin. above and behind the ECU. The round 4-wire one with the green plug is the fuel pump relay, and the brown, square 6-wire one is the main/ignition relay.

also, circled in red, is the large, grey connector, through which all of the wires that go out into the fender go through. you can undo this connector, which simplifies removal, and installation of the harness. I have a good pinout of this connector aswell...

Circled in blue, are the green test mode connectors. the black read code connectors, and the select monitor connector should be near these...You'll want to save them (maybe not the select monitor, as there's nothing that a code reader could tell you that the flashing CEL can't...but the other 2 pairs, for sure!)

another view of the relays:

PICT2314.jpg

this is from a lower angle. you can see the ignition relay (circled) better. and the fuel one is just above it. The round relay with the white connector in the foreground is a headlight relay. you won't need to save these off the legacy donor.