Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought a '90 legacy sedan for $300 looks to be a fairly clean car except that it doesn't have power to the rear. It is an auto, it is not fused. The drive line is intact and the diff seems to be intact. I jacked it up in park and spun one rear tire and it spins the drive line or the other rear tire. I've gone over the basics. What do I check next?

Bought a '90 legacy sedan for $300 looks to be a fairly clean car except that it doesn't have power to the rear. It is an auto, it is not fused. The drive line is intact and the diff seems to be intact. I jacked it up in park and spun one rear tire and it spins the drive line or the other rear tire. I've gone over the basics. What do I check next?

well for 300 bucks can't be perfect, but i know everyone is going to say do a couple transmission oil changes, which ill say as well. OR get the AWD unit replaced,because i guess if the clutch wears down so much it can't engadge at all, also possible the drive solenoid can jam, its unlikey, but i guess it can happen. Another test i would do is jack it up while in the air and give it gas see if all four wheels turn. There is also a post around here to you can make the AWD run when you want it to, so check it out, if i find it illl add the link, so this way you can choose 4WD or FWD and if it works in 4wd, then i dont know:-p

I take it that the awd is seperate from the tranny? What kind of junkyard prices should I be looking at and what terminoligy should I be useing when I ask around?

The awd unit is in the tail of the transmission. Its easier to just replace the entire tranny, as the parts that are worn really need to be replaced with new. the amount of work that needs to be done its sort of silly to put in used.

nipper

Thanks for the opinion on new vs used but you have realize this is a $300 car. I'm not the least bit inclined to put any new parts on it or in it. Can't I just take out the transmission support tilt the transmission down and replace the awd unit anyhow? Doese'nt sound like all that much of a hassle to me.

Thanks for the opinion on new vs used but you have realize this is a $300 car. I'm not the least bit inclined to put any new parts on it or in it.

i didnt say you should, i just said what is required. If its just a "300.00 car" then just drive it and dont worry about it. You are lucky it moves for 300.00 if you use that logic. Also i said a used tranny, not new. You do of course realize at some time it will need some new parts weather you like it or not, to keep from killing yourslef or someone else.

So you have to realize that it runs, and not everything works for 300.00. You either live with it or put money into it to fix it.

nipper

Easy there hotrod. I understand that "some" new parts may be required, such as brake pads, oil and oil filter. Hard parts will be used if I can get them. I have some 10 odd subarus in various states of repair. So I'm not a newb sub owner. I'm just here to get some sound advice to my questions. So I will ask them again. What kind of prices for the awd unit and what is the proper terminology when I ask. Out of the ten or more subs I have, only 2 are autos and they are not going to get parted out any time soon. Thanks in advance for any info anyone may have for me.

Transfer Case is what the technical manuals call it, and it probably will be easier to replace the entire thing because its typical what is bought when you buy a subaru transmission:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-Subaru-Legacy-4eat-AWD-automatic-transmission_W0QQitemZ290058180354QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Front Diff, Transmission, and 'Transfer case'

Transfer Case is what the technical manuals call it, and it probably will be easier to replace the entire thing because its typical what is bought when you buy a subaru transmission:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-Subaru-Legacy-4eat-AWD-automatic-transmission_W0QQitemZ290058180354QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Front Diff, Transmission, and 'Transfer case'

SECOND PIC DOWN LEFT COLUMN SHOWS THE REAR TRANSFER CASE (with clutch pack inside) REMOVED FROM the trans. it can be done in the car, so iv'e read. do a search for the write up.

i paid 285$ labor to have a known good clutch pack installed on my 97 obw. i had the clutch pack off of a bad trans recently replaced. used is always a gamble.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/All_talk/Subaru/4EAT/?action=view&current=4EATcsol.jpg

Bought a '90 legacy sedan for $300 looks to be a fairly clean car except that it doesn't have power to the rear. It is an auto, it is not fused.[...]

I wonder why it doesn't have the FWD fuse; Subaru seems to indicate that from '87-1/2 on the fuse should be there. See the last paragraph on page 20 of the following:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/EWPreOBDAug05.pdf

By the way, it's interesting that the FWD fuse doesn't do the same thing in all models. See Page 5, "Variable Torque Distribution (VTD)":

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:mJ94bFClBQYJ:www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/02WinterInsiderInfo.pdf

If there is no FWD light illuminated on your dash, then the fuse part has nothing to do with it. There has to be an electrical connection to disable the Duty C solenoid and if that connection is there, the FWD light will be on.

If you only bought the car for $300, and don't need the AWD that bad, stick the fuse in there to make sure it's in FWD mode and just keep driving it. You shouldn't damage anything by doing that.

If you need AWD, I would recommend just having a dealer put a new AWD clutch pack in. It can usually be done for less than $1000, dealer price.

175 plus your core for a tranny at my local yard. Or 200 without core. You pull it, 100 bucks more for them to pull it. But I believe the prices are pretty amazing at this junkyard and I haven't been able to find parts this cheap or even close to as cheap anywhere else. Another junkyard around here wants around 500 bucks for one.

I replaced mine a couple weeks after buying the car. It's a b*tch and I would not recommend doing it alone.

30 bucks for an entire door. Is that pretty good or am I missing out on some other junkyards? I think they wanted 35 for a power steering unit for my toyota truck and the other yard wanted 85. I think it's 300 bucks for a used running engine. That's not bad.

I would recommend putting the tranny in yourself(assuming you are up to the job)and it will cost your far less than having the dealership do anything.

The subaru dealer wanted 1400 to replace my wheel bearings, les schwab wanted 700(get what you pay for haha) and I replaced them myself for 20 bucks each(the whole hub assemblys with the bearings in them)from the junkyard. So 80 bucks do it yourself vs. 1400 dealership...Plus the bearings don't generally go out on this cars and if I got a bad one from the junkyard, I just take it back and exchange for another one for free. My legacy just has a lot of miles(283,000).

If there is no FWD light illuminated on your dash, then the fuse part has nothing to do with it. There has to be an electrical connection to disable the Duty C solenoid and if that connection is there, the FWD light will be on.

If you only bought the car for $300, and don't need the AWD that bad, stick the fuse in there to make sure it's in FWD mode and just keep driving it. You shouldn't damage anything by doing that.

If you need AWD, I would recommend just having a dealer put a new AWD clutch pack in. It can usually be done for less than $1000, dealer price.

The FWD fuse is only a signal to the TCU to power the solenoid fully. it has nothing to do directly with the solenoid (thats why any fuse works)

No FWD light on dash is most likely a burned out bulb.

Thats what i did, i had the dealer replace mine for 825.00

nipper

Yeah, there is constant power to the Duty C with the fuse in. With it out, it fluctuates, and that's what operates the AWD system. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

But what I'm saying is, if the FWD light is not on (yes, assuming of course that the bulb isn't burned out) then, electronically, the AWD is active and operating. The clutch packs could be shot and not delivering power to the rear wheels, but the TCU is at least doing its job.

They replaced a burned out bulb for $825.00?! :banana:

The FWD fuse is only a signal to the TCU to power the solenoid fully. it has nothing to do directly with the solenoid (thats why any fuse works)

No FWD light on dash is most likely a burned out bulb.

Thats what i did, i had the dealer replace mine for 825.00

nipper

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Any news on your Duty C switch? I was following all the posts on that and you said you had something, but then I didn't see instructions anywhere. Or did it fail and that's why you needed the back end redone?

no silly, you took it out of context.

they replaced the clutch pack, housing, seals and duty c solenoid.

nipper

thats the best thing to do, but they usually replace the entire casing, and everything, well atleast here they do for the same price converted, i should have did that instead of going to a dumass tranny shop with crappy MF's!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Any news on your Duty C switch? I was following all the posts on that and you said you had something, but then I didn't see instructions anywhere. Or did it fail and that's why you needed the back end redone?

no mine died out of old age. I have taken the car on backroads, undeveloped roads, fir roads and goat paths, and decided that i dont need it. The tcu did a wonderful job.

nipper