Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wow.... Land Rovers are pretty hardcore

SakoTGrimes

Here is an old land rover- It is my favorite for a buggy just by looking at it.

=

I do not understand the soobs and even some toyota/nissans getting lifted. They are very light and need the wheels wrapped by body weight for true capability. I would even call it dangerous as it has been proven in my area for years about the little trucks lifted. The most success from a s0ob I have seen is make the big tires/wheels fit and no lift (lifting a soob isn't popular here at all- just going down the road for many parts of the year needs a no BS 4x4, not a toy). With a d/r 1987 GL now, I still only want bigger wheels filling the wells precisely for all maneuvering- from my own experience, with all aspects of offroading, the setup aforementioned would dominate until the deep water hole- I have not had a reason for that yet to make a lift worth it. It is interesting to see some of the setups, I have decided never to have extreme 4wd setup in a soob- It is not true to me.:)

The ones I have seen here via photo and vid proved what I thought would happen out loud-

Anyone know of the outback vid, where the car has hardly any lift and the biggest tires I have seen yet fit in the wells, going through a very unlikely hole- that is the best proven out loud I have seen, the car did not lose the body weight over the wheels, and the vid proved it. I saw it from here someplace, plowed through like an engineered land rover. It is a shame I despise the ej engine for hard work, that outback was quite interesting.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an old land rover- It is my favorite for a buggy just by looking at it.

=

I do not understand the soobs and even some toyota/nissans getting lifted. They are very light and need the wheels wrapped by body weight for true capability. I would even call it dangerous as it has been proven in my area for years about the little trucks lifted. The most success from a s0ob I have seen is make the big tires/wheels fit and no lift (lifting a soob isn't popular here at all- just going down the road for many parts of the year needs a no BS 4x4, not a toy). With a d/r 1987 GL now, I still only want bigger wheels filling the wells precisely for all maneuvering- from my own experience, with all aspects of offroading, the setup aforementioned would dominate until the deep water hole- I have not had a reason for that yet to make a lift worth it. It is interesting to see some of the setups, I have decided never to have extreme 4wd setup in a soob- It is not true to me.:)

The ones I have seen here via photo and vid proved what I thought would happen out loud-

Anyone know of the outback vid, where the car has hardly any lift and the biggest tires I have seen yet fit in the wells, going through a very unlikely hole- that is the best proven out loud I have seen, the car did not lose the body weight over the wheels, and the vid proved it. I saw it from here someplace, plowed through like an engineered land rover. It is a shame I despise the ej engine for hard work, that outback was quite interesting.

Bgd73 says that

"Light truck and Subarus should not be lifted because it elevates the weight of the car above the wheels, leading to less traction and insability. He wouln't lift a vehicle unless it was a purpose built mud bogging truck.

Putting the bigest tires on without a lift leads to the greatest offroading capability."

I say, good luck puting tires on that actually give you ground clearance without lifting the car. My tires fill the wheelwells, and I needed a lift to do it. I also put an EJ in to turn the wheels with something called torque.

Another thing that he ignores is suspension flex. Subies don't have much, but take an early 80's lifted toyota with some soft springs and you will see that at full flex, the stuffed tires fill the wheel wells, which means that all that lift was needed to keep traction through suspension flex.

In my own experience, the body of my car would be trashed if it wasn't for the lift. The body clearance I gain with the lift, combined with the ground clearance I gained by going to the larger tires means that I can climb over stone wall crossings without bashing the car. I can also cross gullies better because the lift improves the approach and departure angles of the car.

Keep your armchair offroading to yourself. Those of us that actully wheel know the importance of a lift.

They are very light and need the wheels wrapped by body weight for true capability. I would even call it dangerous as it has been proven in my area for years about the little trucks lifted.

So what you're saying is that the truck on the right is more dangerous than the truck on the left?

next to my dad's gmc jimmy with 38's

Storm_toyota010607_0132.jpg

Sorry for the borrow rooinater, but it fit the point well. BTW, nice truck.