Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 vs 97 Outback Auto Tranny shifter wiring ??

I have a 97 Outback. It was running in 2WD with a 96 AT TZ102Z2ABA that the previous owner installed.

I located a used 97 Auto tranny TZ102Z2CBA for the car (the correct one). I'm in the process of swapping them, but the shifter wiring looks different.

Am I missing an electrical cable (about 12" long?) that plugs into the 97 shift mechanism then goes to one of the large tranny connectors at the top of the bellhousing?

see http://www.californiavan.com/subaru/trannywires/ for photos of each...

You can take the shifter mechanism off with the three little bolts and the big nut and swap em.

You will have to align the shifter lever on the mechanism with the casing when you swap them but that is pretty easy. Place in Neutral position, put a punch thru the hole and align it and then tighten the little bolts when its lined up right.

(This will make sense when you are looking at the trans).

That thing on the side is the inhibitor switch. There should be a wire with a connector like the other transmission. I don't believe the inihibitor switch is different, so what I'd try and do is swap the inhibitor from the 96 tranny onto the 97 tranny.

I "think" you can unbolt it from the transmission and swap it, without having to tear into the guts of the transmission.

Josh

Thanks to all who replied. I swapped the piece held with 3 small bolts and the large metal linkage piece (under large nut) and all works fine...car drives/shifts properly.

I may put everything back to 97 style now since the transmission vendor has sent me the electrical cable I was missing...