Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*sigh* going to take the plunge into EJ swappageness!

Caboobaroo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup they sure are... how lame to have a life on a trailer!!!

ok so now we're gonna unhijack my thread and keep going. I think I figured out the radiator situation, gonna use my stock EA82T radiator I had in the RX with the dual electric fans I have mounted on it as well. Sourced an EJ20K without turbo or intercooler, but has the wiring, ECU and an intake from an EJ20G that the guy said would work with the engine and wiring. $950 for the engine so now I just have to source a tranny and rear end:clap:

So next question, what fuel pump should I run with this engine? I have 2 EA82T fuel pumps, the stock SPFI fuel pump in the coupe currently, but I can pick up a WRX fuel pump for a reasonable price. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Well I just had a thought, so I'll see what everyone else thinks of this. I currently have the RX gearbox and the cost of another tranny would be a bit more then what I could get for my RX box. So here's my thought. What if I use the EJ20K engine and just use the adapter plate to bolt it up to my tranny, use my stock LSD, then save money for the AWD 5-speed tranny and rear diff, along with doing the rear axles to work with an EJ rear diff. Would that RX box handle the power all right or would I end up blowing it to pieces?

I say go for it. I don't think anyone's run too much power through one yet. I intend to keep building up my motor until the tranny goes...

The only downside, is the RX gearbox is geared very short for an EJ engine.

yeah I kinda figured that as much. But a good thing is the 3.7 final drive will let it cruise at a lower RPM on the freeway. Plus, I'm currently at 7200 feet above sea level so with the air being as thin as it is up here, I think I should be fine:burnout:

Sourced an EJ20K without turbo or intercooler, but has the wiring, ECU and an intake from an EJ20G that the guy said would work with the engine and wiring.

i am 99% sure a G intake will not work on the K heads. something about aligned "vs" non-aligned bolts into the heads.

check on this before you buy it. .

P.S. buy a 255l Welbro fuel pump. fits like OEM and you will have no problems with it.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

yeah I kinda figured that as much. But a good thing is the 3.7 final drive will let it cruise at a lower RPM on the freeway. Plus, I'm currently at 7200 feet above sea level so with the air being as thin as it is up here, I think I should be fine:burnout:

that's what I assumed...but it's not how it works. the gears are different. the 5th gear in the RX trans is so much lower, that despite the higher final drive, it actually cruises at higher rpm.

the RX trans is the only 5MT trans that subaru has made (that I could find...anyway) where 4th gear is not an overdrive....5th is .871 on an RX, and .780 on an N/A D/R trans.

punch that into a gear calculator, and at 75 mph, using 23" for tire diameter, the RX gearing means about 3500 rpms, and an N/A gearbox means 3300...

and an N/A EA82 gearbox has virtually identical gearing to most EJ 5MT transmissions.

I've been looking alot into gearing lately....because I really don't like the high rpms the engine has to turn while on the freeway. And I make lots of freeway trips, at 75-80mph for hours at a time.

That said, I'd still rock the RX trans. common beleif seems to be that an EA82 trans can't hold up to much power, but I haven't seen anyone destroy one....

Thanks Dave, I'll check with the guy and see if that intake will work for that engine. He's from AWDpirates but has recently joined up here (Matt Monson).

Numbchux - I'm not too worried about the higher RPMs with cruising. I mean, I had a '78 Brat and I would do 80mph down the freeway with the stock 4-speed. Granted, it was screaming a bit, it still didn't give me any grief later on... until the alternator died:rolleyes:

So Phil, if you can source me the parts I need, how much would all that run for say? I still have a clutch and flywheel that I can machine for free but I can also get a driveshaft shortened for pretty cheap up here as well. And would the EJ22T manifold work on the EJ20K?:confused:

Since your gonna have the intake off anyways.. why not port match it??? just use the gaskets for reference.. My bro in law is doing that with his ej25 stock mani... its hugly bigger after he matched it to the gasket!! hes going to get them flowbenched soon also!! ej257 power!!! Anyways... your rides gonna be super sweet... of course youll still hangout with the old subaru crowd right?? your knowledge about 82ts is very helpful!!!

Since your gonna have the intake off anyways.. why not port match it??? just use the gaskets for reference.. My bro in law is doing that with his ej25 stock mani... its hugly bigger after he matched it to the gasket!! hes going to get them flowbenched soon also!! ej257 power!!! Anyways... your rides gonna be super sweet... of course youll still hangout with the old subaru crowd right?? your knowledge about 82ts is very helpful!!!

of course I'll be hanging out with the old schoolers, I mean, it'll be in a '87 GL coupe! Plus, I'm always into the older Subarus then the newer ones.

Anyways, you have to remember, my current mode of transportation is either my feet, my $800 mountain bike, or a ride to work so I'm more inclinded to get it running ASAP, not portmatch the intake and the heads. More time then I'm willing to spend:rolleyes:

well I've started getting pieces together already. I found a 5-speed tranny from an old parts Impreza that LUVMYBRAT got his EJ22 from. I don't think we grabbed the rear diff though so I'll have to figure out what ratio the tranny has as a final drive and see if I can't get me another one. I also think I have the driveshaft as well from the Impreza but thats another thing I'm going to have to see if its with the engine and tranny. But I do have a tranny and clutch/flywheel setup. Hopefully once I get some parts sold, I'll be able to go pick up that EJ20K and if the "G" intake won't work on it, I'll have to get me an intake to work with the "K" engine. But I'll ask on the new gen forum as well:brow:

I thinkthe Impreza parts car was a cable clutch but I can't say for sure. If it is, then sweet cause I got my old pedal cluster from the RX with a brand new OEM cable. If not, well then it'll be time to source some more parts:-\

Nice, thankfully I have a couple EA82 driveshafts and hopefully the one from the parts Impreza.

So Dave, I put a post over in the new gen forum about the intakes and Corky said the EJ20K engine will work with the "G" intake. He sais that the only differences are on the "K" engine, the plumbing for the turbo runs under the intake like the newer WRXs and the "G" has a 90 degree fittin on the turbo so the plumbing stays behind the intake. Here's the post... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68845

I'll double check if this is correct but the TD04 and plumbing setup I have on my RX will work because I have the plumbing going into the inlet of the turbo behind the intake like on the older VFxx turbos.

when i did my EJ RX i used the front section, and carrier barring from the WRX clip and the rear section from the RX.

the front had to be shortened but it works without a problem

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

OOOOHH. I had completely misunderstood. the center bearing bracket bolted up? were the output flanges on the tranny different?

I'll be sure to mention that in the write-up.

That said, I'd still rock the RX trans. common beleif seems to be that an EA82 trans can't hold up to much power, but I haven't seen anyone destroy one....

Been there done that with a carb'd EA82.... Front Pinion gear had 6 teeth missing, 1st gear was gone, 4 hi gear has 2 teeth missing and 4 low was spun completely bald........ funny thing was I drove it like that for a while... til I found another dual range

This was before I put my lift on :grin:

OOOOHH. I had completely misunderstood. the center bearing bracket bolted up? were the output flanges on the tranny different?

I'll be sure to mention that in the write-up.

the center barring needed a washer under it due to the fact that it is taller. but both the GL and the WRX trany have the same output shaft size.

but if i could have found another EA82 shaft i would have used that over the WRX shaft. its cheeper to have shortened due to the disigne.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

the center barring needed a washer under it due to the fact that it is taller. but both the GL and the WRX trany have the same output shaft size.

but if i could have found another EA82 shaft i would have used that over the WRX shaft. its cheeper to have shortened due to the disigne.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

verrrry interesting.

thanks

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

YES! Cheaper is definatly in my budget! I got 2 EA82 drivelines laying around so I'll take one of them to a shop and have it shortened.

Dave, you have any other thoughts on the intakes?

Dave, you have any other thoughts on the intakes?

just make sure you know what you are getting and get all of it.

remember some of these parts are not easy to find due to the fact that they are JDM. if you start to get parts from here and there you will end up with a frankenstine and may have an even harder time finding parts for it...

if you go this route make sure you are saveing a lot of money over buying a front clip, or buying a compleat setup (engine trans ECU wiring harness) from a importer.

let me know what route you decided to go...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com