Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch cable help

Hmm well i keep reading on how easy and how it takes 15 minutes to put the clutch cable in, all you have to do it unpin it from the pedal and undo it from the fork and its right out......

Im not seeing that obviously

Getting the cable of the fork end, easy

Getting it off the pedal, im having trouble, hows it unpin the Gold end part, theres no room for the pin to even be removed, its as if the pedal assembly ALL has to come out, wich im not sure how that is acomplished, then theres the 2 mounting bolts on the cable also, wich im getting pissed with the lack of room, how do you all magicly do it in 15 minutes, i spend 45 on it and gave up, because my class was almost over, and i just quickly put it back and left.

if its like an ea82 wagon , the easiest thing to do is look up above where the cable links to the pedal, and unbolt the 14 mm nut that holds the pedal on. itll be about a 4 inch bolt, then there are two 10 mm nuts that have to come off and whala your whole pedal is off. swap the cable, and put it back together.

and it takes 30 minutes, allowing for adjustment and the like:headbang:

On the EA81's it's "C" clip and the pedals slip off...

This allows access to the pin and clip that secure the cable.

The EA82 is different, and in fact easier than the EA81. The pedal end of the cable is held by bolts instead of the silly spring clip. The clutch fork end is the same for both.

In all cases, takeing the pedal off the pivot assembly is the way it's done most effectively. And go to the dealer and get a new cable pivot pin and retainer.

GD

erm turbo return spring....uhh i saw some kind of spring thing down there, lol. I havent done it yet, it rained like crazy today

If you have the Turbo return spring (technically, I think, it is a pedal assist spring, as it is an overcenter design) it pretty much obscures your view of the cable end and stop.