Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which cars have the 4.44 diff ratio?

Andy FitzGibbon

• 1 month later...
in a EA82 car what axles would you run, are all the stubs the same or are there differences ,

with what you're doing you're only speaking of rear diffs right? the stub axles on all of those are identical for all EA82 and EA82T's. the stub axles differ on the front differential from EA82 to EA82T.

The legacy rear diffs we have here are externally identical to the EA82 diffs, with the roll pin retainer and stub axle on the diff head. The JDM legacy turbo 4EAT cars (with which we are flooded here) had the 4.44, and some non turbo 4EATs. I have one of each, many of the turbo opnes also have the VSLD.

Im interested in running 4.44s on my wheeler with a t-case , do we have a complete list on which cars had them, also in a EA82 car what axles would you run, are all the stubs the same or are there differences ,

in Aus you can get both male and female style 4.44 diffs.Early turbo auto's legacy had the male style and the later had female.I am running a 4.44 vlsd in my 88 wagon.

For axles first i tried the late ea with the cv outer the ea shaft joined to the cup that came with the 4.44 diff using the ball and cage from that cup[the ea and legacy ball and cage are the same] however this pulled the cup out of the diff,not enough side ways movement with travel.Now i'm running the early style ea doj on the outer the ea shaft and the same inner setup as described above and have not had any problems. I have also dropped the diff a touch to take the the bigger angles out of the driveshafts,but i think with doj at both ends their should be enough movement nott to rip the cups out.Another fella over here has taken ea diff stubs out and machined slots into them to fit the internal circlip of the ej diff ,their is a left and a right with the ej,and fitted them in with success.

in Aus you can get both male and female style 4.44 diffs.Early turbo auto's legacy had the male style and the later had female.I am running a 4.44 vlsd in my 88 wagon.

For axles first i tried the late ea with the cv outer the ea shaft joined to the cup that came with the 4.44 diff using the ball and cage from that cup[the ea and legacy ball and cage are the same] however this pulled the cup out of the diff,not enough side ways movement with travel.Now i'm running the early style ea doj on the outer the ea shaft and the same inner setup as described above and have not had any problems. I have also dropped the diff a touch to take the the bigger angles out of the driveshafts,but i think with doj at both ends their should be enough movement nott to rip the cups out.Another fella over here has taken ea diff stubs out and machined slots into them to fit the internal circlip of the ej diff ,their is a left and a right with the ej,and fitted them in with success.

Thank You thats good to know, Ive never seen a 4.44 , sounds like a early one would be a direct bolt in where a a later one would not

Im not against using the later style even the later style axles if its the stronger choice, might have to fab up some custom trailing arms and utilize the newer style axle and hubs , might get away from the week stub axles on the older cars

Thank You thats good to know, Ive never seen a 4.44 , sounds like a early one would be a direct bolt in where a a later one would not

Im not against using the later style even the later style axles if its the stronger choice, might have to fab up some custom trailing arms and utilize the newer style axle and hubs , might get away from the week stub axles on the older cars

The later ones have the same housing and mounting points as the early diff [ea and ej],all you are changing is the studs on the rear cover for the shorter ea ones or you can swap the whole cover over.I wanted a early one but later ones were more available.I got mine from japan thru a importer it came with the cups attached and they had gas axed the shafts off.

Some one over here has fitted a complete impressa rear end into a brumby/brat by making a subframe/cradle and bolting it onto the rear end mounting points.Its doable if you got the gear.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...