Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swappers, please read! write-up draft

Numbchux

Here's draft one of my EJ-swap writeup. it's still a somewhat crude .doc file, and still has nothing about the wiring (I don't even know where to start...). but I think the text is pretty much finished.

Download EA2EJ.doc

it's a MS Word .doc file. I have office 2003, so it may not work so well on older versions. however, let me know if anyone has any problems, and I'll save it as a .rtf or something. the final version will be in .pdf form, so that won't be as much of an issue.

anyway, please read it, and see if there's anything that doesn't make sense, or incorrect.

I've got lots of pictures and FSM diagrams for the wiring section. but what you see there is pretty much the extent of the pictures I have for the rest of the process. so if you've got anything that you think should be in there, or want to see something, I could try to take some pictures of my wagon.

anyway...let me know what you guys think

Wow, looks really comprehensive, well edited and readable as well. Great job!

Here are my notes (mostly stuff I said at one time and since rethought):

Section 2: I may have been high on crack when I said you could get a flywheel welded and redrilled for $30. It's likely gonna cost a lot more than that, so I wouldn't put a price on that service. BUT, I would estimate about $60-80 to simply have your holes milled out to the EJ pattern by an auto machine shop.

Also in section 2: I would say that a lighter XT6 flywheel would be preferrable for the street, but a heavier regular 4WD one would be better for offroad (more spinning mass, harder to stall).

Section 5: I talked about the possibility of needing a surge tank on an EA81. This was what the AU guys said, but my personal experience has been NO SURGE TANK, NO PROBLEM. Feel free to scratch that or ammend it if you want.

Section 6: Solution 3 that I offered about the muffler pipe adapters for radiator hoses is not worth mentioning. ShawnW's suggestion of using preformed hoses with different size ends was a much better solution (which I'm not sure you mentioned, I'm talking preformed hose for different model cars not the universal stuff, just go in the back at the part store and dig). To that solution I would add to use those grey plastic plumbing couplers from the hardware store to join two different preformed hoses to get a perfect fit.

Here's a pic of that (on a 4" lifted EA81):

DCP_5728.jpg

I saw you used one of my pics, feel free to use any, I have a few more EJ swap ones up in my gallery: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=6078&cat=500

I think the fuel surge tank may be necessary on any car that was originally carbed. I did my conversion on a carbed EA82 car, and I DID have fuel starvation issues when cornering or at extreme angles with a nearly empty tank. I have also been told that the FI EA82 gas tanks have some sort of baffle setup inside the tank that keeps a constant supply of fuel available, essentially like a surge tank.

I'm also curious about what you said regarding swapping the entire EJ drivetrain. I used the 5MT from a 90-ish legacy, and my axles went right on the rear diff without any problems.

I'm also curious about what you said regarding swapping the entire EJ drivetrain. I used the 5MT from a 90-ish legacy, and my axles went right on the rear diff without any problems.

and you used the rear diff from the legacy?

Suberdave had to use an adapter race to put WRX inner cups onto his EA82 shafts in his EJ20G swaps. but now that you mention it, the early Legacy stub axles work with the EA82 rear axles. I'll add that in there.

I had a question, mainly for Numbchux. I was wondering if it be okay If I took your info and compiled it with as many pictures of swaps I could find and fit it all into a kinda-swapFSM in PDF format? Reason is is that I am currently studying as a graphic designer and also have acrobat professional and wanted to have a project that I could perhapes put in a portfolio in the future. I would be working on this during winter break but my goal in mind would be to piece it all together in a very complete fashion that coul be easily read with tips and hints on sides of pages and all. Let me know what you think :)

*edit* ill also be buying up some webspace for my site quite near in the future so if ur looking for a place to hold the manual and site and not worry about slow sever or downtime also give me a holler

just shoot me a pm

way cool! do you have any info on those hoses? my lower rad hose is one of the things that I'm not happy with.

but thanks for the suggestions, I'll include those.

I don't have part #'s but with the different lifts and EA81 vs. EA82 etc. it's best if you just tape together a mock up out of old hose and bring that in and try to match it. My local Advance Auto was really cool about letting me dig through their shelves for about an hour and a half.

I don't have part #'s but with the different lifts and EA81 vs. EA82 etc. it's best if you just tape together a mock up out of old hose and bring that in and try to match it. My local Advance Auto was really cool about letting me dig through their shelves for about an hour and a half.

nice. I'll have to try that. I was just thinking, from looking at your pic, that you could trim the vertical part of the lower hose to accomodate more or less lift...I'll see what I can dig up.

eddygordouk, I suppose you could, but it sounds identical to what I'm doing. I have acrobat proffesional aswell...and will be converting it to a pdf file with all the pictures I can find. This is just the first draft....

and you used the rear diff from the legacy?

Suberdave had to use an adapter race to put WRX inner cups onto his EA82 shafts in his EJ20G swaps. but now that you mention it, the early Legacy stub axles work with the EA82 rear axles. I'll add that in there.

I figured it was something like that...different spline count on those or something?

Manual looks good overall. I wish I'd had it when I was doing my swap:D .

Wouldnt it almost be easier to just put a fuel injected type gas tank in the car?

Yeah, that's what I was going to do, but I ended up junking the car for other reasons before I had a chance to. It should be easy to find an FI tank for an EA82 car, but getting one for an EA81 might be kinda difficult.