Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I give up!

Guest Jeffro01

90 Legacy WGN 4wd Auto.

What does the Manual button on the shift lever do??

I can't seem to get it do anything.

Thanks Jeff......

Guest subieman

The manual button locks the transmission in 3rd gear. So when your going up hill and floor it, it stays in 3rd to keep you from jumping from 3rd to 2nd all the time. When you come to a complete stop the car will start out in 2nd gear then shift to 3rd and stay there.

Guest Legacy777

Here's a little more info too, from my site..

Manual Button

The manual button has some controversy as two what its function is. But I'm here to disavow any of those rumors. Firstly, the automatic transmission normally runs a power split of 90% front 10% rear. This is under normal driving conditions. Secondly, the manual button ONLY works when the shift lever indicator is in the positions "3" or "2".

Ok, so you're ready to hear what this thingy does. It is a very primitive version of traction control. When the shift lever is either 3 or 2, and the manual button is depressed, it will keep the transmission from going into first gear. By doing this, you have less torque, more evenly distributed power, and a less chance to slip and slide around.

So to recap, when the shift lever is in the 2 position the transmission stays in 2nd gear. When the shift lever is in the 3 position the transmission chooses between 2nd and 3rd gear. If the shift lever is any other position then the two above, the manual button does absolutely positively nothing

Guest Jeffro01

Thanks. Do you know if this Trans. uses a lock up converter?? It seems to do alot of shifting under med. throttle acceleration.

Guest Legacy777

yes there is a lock up torque converter. The amount of lockup is controlled by the TCU and will normally vary from around 5-95% lockup

Guest WagonsOnly

Were all auto Legacies of that era equipped with it? Or was it available only with a towing package/something of that sort? And wasn't the same thing available on the XT coupe's 4-speed auto, or was that just a 4th-gear lockout?

Just idle curiosity, I highly doubt I'll ever have a Sube automatic (or anything else automatic either).

Guest CROSSTBOLT

Josh, does that mean the lock-up clutch actually SLIPS 95-5%?

Karl

PS: I tried direct e-mail since this one was so old but the system would not recognize your e-address.