Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R 4WD Tranny into New-Gen

I've got this regular sound anytime I let the clutch engage (pedal is not pushed)... sounds like a belt squeal. From what I gathered in my research, this could be any one of a few different problems, but all of them involve getting at the clutch components and replacing what needs to be replaced. Worst case scenario... it's the pilot bearing, which means it's busy tearing up the input shaft on the tranny. Let it go long enough, and I'm looking at a new tranny.

Unfortunately, I don't have handy access to a garage (though I'm in the search, believe me), and upstate NY is not a place to be tearing apart a clutch without a garage, this time of year. So I'm driving it for as long as I can, until I can either find a garage or the weather clears up (How's August sound?).

Which got me thinking... What if I just replaced the AWD tranny with the dual range part time, via that EJ-EA adapter? Yeah, I lose the AWD, but I was rather fond of the way my old single range Loyale handled... and the dual range might come in handy, if nothing more than to play with. The way I drive, I'm not sure I'm exploiting all the advantages of AWD anyway. I swear I've seen Grannies' giving me the finger. And if I've got to yank the tranny anyway to get to the clutch...

Anyway, I tried doing some research on the forums here, and there seems to be veritable lack of information on it. Is it that the swap is that easy? Or that nobody ever bothered to look into it? I'm concerned about those little surprises that spring up when you've got the new tranny halfway in.

Things that come to mind: First off, obviously, I'd need that EJ-EA adapter. Any other drilling/tapping/slotting required? Do my current halfshafts slide right on, or do I have to look at alternatives (either due to length of the axles, or different spline counts, etc). And what about the speedometer? Cosmetically, I'm going to have to do some slick stuff to neaten up the console.

In short, the only example I've come across in my research who's done this before what that '98 Forester... and his cardomain page (can't remember right off-hand exactly) isn't exactly descriptive on the subject.

I could just grab a donor, and give it a go when I've got the spare time, space, etc., but I figured it might be wiser to just test the waters, so to speak, before I go diving in.

Yeah, looks like my searching skills are a tad bit rusty. That first thread linked looks like it's got a lot of good information on it... which in turn means if I'm going to do this, I've got a lot of prep work to get started on.

Thanks!

BTW take good notes abd pictures and share them with us.

nipper