Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy wagon - leaking gas!

My '95 OBW is leaking gasoline near the right rear wheel of the car. I used to notice a faint gasoline smell but wasn't sure what it was, now I shut the car off, look behind the RR wheel, and see a slow but constant drip of gas. I can't see where the hell it's coming from; later today I'll take a look, but FWIW, it stops after the car has been shut off for a while.

What could it be?

The '93 I just bought had a similar problem....only the leak was from behind the driver's rear wheel.

The previous owner thought it was the tank, but it turned out to be one of the fuel lines.

I took off the two access panels that are under the rear cargo area, and routed new rubber hose down to the metal nipples where the fuel lines go back up into the body (under driver's rear wheel)

This MAY be your fix.....or it may possibly be a rust issue where the filler tube meets the tank (since you say it leaks from the passenger rear)

Hope this helps

It's going to be one of three things and I'll list them in probable Order

#1 Filler tube rusted out at the bottom. Jack up the RR of the car and take the tire off. Then look for where the filler tube comes down the wheel well and goes under the car. There should be a plastic shrowd around it. You will need to remove it to check the tube. This is the most common problem on these cars because dirt gets trapped between that shrowd and the tube, causing it to rust out.

#2 It could be a leak from one of the lines. To check pull up the carpet directly behind the rear seat. There will be two access panels, one on each side. If you remove the oval panel on the passangers side you will see three hoses going into the tank. Check them for leaks while the car is running.

#3 The tank itself. This one requires laying underneath the car and inspecting all the way around the tank, looking for wet spots to indicate a leak. It just so happens that my 95 Legacy's gas tank is rusting apart at the seam. I don't see any drips, but I get a smell and I found a wet spot on the seam.

Keith

I had the leaking filler tube on my 95 Legacy when I bought it--if you don't fill it past 1/4 full, you won't waste so much gas until you fix it. Thinking about it now, it's not a surprise the previous owners traded my car in--brakes and rear struts making noise, mileage falling off--they probably thought it was gonna blow up any minute. ;)