Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Exhaust options and opinions

Johnnyboy

Hey team,

I've had an EJ22 in my 83 Brumby for a good 5 months now, with no real problems to speak of, in fact i'm pretty damn happy with it.

I've been running it with the headers that came with the 1994 SOHC EJ22 when i got it (pic "exhaust 1") and they have been attached to the exsisting 2.5" custom exhaust i had fitted to my previous EA81T motor from about the gearbox back, but it was never "set up" to my liking , just to get it running type thing.

This weekend, i'm re-routing and re-mounting the exhaust into it's final position and i've also picked up a different set of headers (pic "exhaust 2").

It's got me wondering, which is really the better option? "exhaust 2" looks like it might be the better option? but is in fact from a earlier model EJ20 (1992 ish). If it's earlier, would it be possible that the later 1996 EJ22 header is a better design? My 1996 HX-20S has the same headers as the one's in Pic 1.

What do people think?

post-17480-136027619811_thumb.jpg

post-17480-136027619815_thumb.jpg

I am planning the same, use the EJ20 turbo headers that wrap around the front, UNEVEN is best for torque gathering.... its all todo with the exhaust pulsing against themselves

I have seen it done and it gathers more torque than my even ones.

Keeps the pipes higher and out of the way.

Fatz on the AUS boards has the vehicle now. Schmick.