Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Speed Conversion?

Major Lazy

Greetings,

Does anyone know where I could find out what year/body style 5 speed tranny could be installed into my 1982 1800cc 4 speed hatchback with limited mods? I am hoping to simply get a tranny and linkage and just bolt her in, am I asking the impossible?

This forum is the greatest by the way!

Thanks,

Carl

First question: Is your vehicle 4WD or not?

If its 4WD, then you want a 5spd D/R from a 1985-1989 Wagon. Earlier sedans and coupes have D/Rs too, but they're the higher low range.

If its FWD, they also made 5spd FWD trans.

Contact Bratsrus1 (Jerry) and he has a kit that will allow you to bolt a 5spd D/R from an EA82 to your car.

I am putting one into a Brat as we speak. I have seem to run into some issues:

1) 4WD shifter lever needs to be elongated because otherwise the lever will not sit flat when in 2WD mode.

2) I am about to go check this again but my shifting linkage seems to only shift into 1st 3rd and 5th. The other gears it hits itself.

BTW there was a picture somewhere here where all the connectors went to but I seem to have lost it so if anyone finds it and posts it here again it would be sweet!

I am putting one into a Brat as we speak. I have seem to run into some issues:

1) 4WD shifter lever needs to be elongated because otherwise the lever will not sit flat when in 2WD mode.

You add exactly 1 inch to the stock 4 speed 4WD shift rod. I just cut 1" from the 4WD shift rod of the 5 speed donor linkage and welded it in. Paint the welds to prevent rust.

2) I am about to go check this again but my shifting linkage seems to only shift into 1st 3rd and 5th. The other gears it hits itself.

You use the stock 5 speed gear shift linkage, and push it all the way to the drivers side when you tighten the rear body mounting nut. If you have the tranny properly installed it should not hit anything.

GD

You use the stock 5 speed gear shift linkage, and push it all the way to the drivers side when you tighten the rear body mounting nut. If you have the tranny properly installed it should not hit anything.

GD

I just made this work, I seems there are several different shifter linkages/mount to the tranny etc...

I just mixed and matched, it now looks like it will clear everything. Going to drill the rear mount later tonight and torque everything up.

I still need to go find a welder to use for the 4WD linkage extention.

Can't tell from the pic that GD posted, (just can't see the bracket clearly), but is there enough steel at the 2 mounting holes to slot them so there's less twist on the rear mount rubber?

And GD, looks like you lost a nut in that pic....

Probably, but it doesn't hurt it to twist it a little, and there's like thousands of those mounts in the yards. I guess if I ever have a problem I might bother slotting it or something. I think I stole that nut for the mount actually. But I can't remember. Only noticed it wasn't there when I took the pic. Doesn't affect it really. None of that stuff is load bearing - it's just there to hold the linkage so it has a pivot point for the shifter.

I've been thinking about seeing how a legacy or impreza linkage would fit in there. From pictures I've seen the design is basically the same with just some changes to make it smoother and tighter, and a shorter throw.

GD

I think it's worth adapting the cushion so there's less stress on it. Those are about $20 from the dealer IIRC.

My car is lifted so I put in a threaded spacer so i could bolt it securely without stressing it (I replaced all of the car's shifter bushings and couldn't see the logic of ruining the most expensive one faster). Comparing the way the shifter felt before, it felt smoother after I put in the spacer.