Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Subaru Legacy - Fix or Dump?

I have a 95 Legacy with 205K+ miles and what looks like a transmission problem. It's kind of rough when you start up, but when you put it into R, it doesn't always go smoothly. When you have it in drive, you have to give it quite a bit of gas before it goes and when it does, the tach usually goes to 3K before shifting (cold). When it is warm, it shifts fine.

Should I have it diagnosed or should I just donate it to a charity that will take it?

I drive between 85 to 150 miles a day depending on which office I have to be at, so I need dependibility. I can get the same car used for about $2k, I think. I know tranny work is expensive, and after just doing timing belt, radiator and water pump over the summer, if it's worth putting anymore money into it. Any Subie experts in Northern NJ/Sussex?

For me it might depend on the rest of the car's condition. Somebody wants that car because at the worst a 95 2.2 engine that runs good is nice to have.

If I was broke I'd drive it till it dropped and put a used tranny in if the rest of the car was ok. When I was a student that is exactly what I did with the heaps that came my way.

Since I'm a middle aged guy with a job and not that much time if it was mine I'd say I got my miles out of it and buy a few years old car.

...after just doing timing belt, radiator and water pump over the summer, if it's worth putting anymore money into it...

That to me would say look into getting the tranny fixed or replaced... you have done, or had done, some pricey maintenance already (if you paid someone else to do it) and are unlikely to find another car with definitive knowledge that maintenance has been done to it.

But as said earlier, if you are getting the itch for a different car, yes this could be a good reason to dump it. If you enjoy it, a tranny really is not that big of a deal.

My .02

It isn't that big a deal but the last couple of cars I had in Jersey and NY that old were really beat. Here in San Mateo the body would still be pretty good and the roads are a treat here compared to back east. The salt makes the smallest job under the car a pain in the butt. Here I can drop a ten year old exhaust pipe in a few minutes and the bolts are still reusuable.

In salt states guys really earn thier repairs.

This is why I say the condition of the rest of the car would be pretty improtant and only he can see it.