Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ wiring nightmare

Uberoo

I just got a wiring harness from a 91 legacy with an AUTO!My computer and engine are from another 91.So far all ive really done is stripped down the harness that goes through the left fender and into the engine.By stripped I mean I removed all the 80 lbs of electric tape as well as the convulted sleving.I have a Question on this(the first of many!)on the legacy there is a box with 4 relay looking things and two blade type fuses.The four relays All have the same part number :056700-848Q.they are made by DENSO.is anything in that box needed for EA-EJ swap?

you will only need 2 relays. the main/ignition relay (brown, 6-wires), and the fuel pump relay (green plug, 4 wires). anything else you can ditch. also, there's no need to keep any of the fuse boxes. you'll only need a couple fused wires, so there's no point keeping the whole box.

and yes, shift lock refers to the trans

nightmare? you haven't even started yet...

also,those LARGE grey connectors? are thy mostly body wiring or?I haven't seen alot of the ECU wires heading that direction.But then Im only on the first part of the harness.

um, well the tranny has a pair of very large grey connectors. square ones IIRC.

I've got some good pics of a legacy with the dash removed here. with some explanations of what all the wires do:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68429

the red relay that on the piece of metal that the headlight relay is on.is that needed or do I cut all the relays except for the ignition and fuel relay?

Also the fuse box,if it is not needed can I cut the wires going to it and trace them to their sources and slice near the source?

On the fusebox there appears to be a fuse for ignitionwould that be the only wire to keep.

sorry about all this,I can't read wiring diagrams to save my life.So far ive just cut wires heading to things.For example when I pulled the harness,I cut the section that goes to lights up front and removed the cut wires.then I cut the TCU,the shift lock unit,wires that were going to the transmission(when pulled)and the window wiper connector..

What items are for ABS?Pics?the connectors near the cruise control,Is anything needed in those?I heard that the fuel pump power wire is among those.

I am not sure if I am stripping the harness down correctly,I am just finding compents that are not needed then just removing the assorted wiring that goes with them.Except some connecters had ECU wires to them like the wires for AC went to some connectors shared by the ECU.And when I removed the AC wires some wires on alternator wiring became unneeded(large white wires heading to AC relays,branching of from alt wires)so now Im worried.

Subaru does use different ECU's between the MT & AT equipped cars, however there is a MT/AT identifier pin on the ECU's and you can use a AT computer in an MT car. This pin tells the ECU whether the car has a manual or automatic transmission. The pin can be found at pin 20 on the ECU's B49 connector. The factory manuals state that for AT's the MT/AT pin should read 0v, and the MT's should read 5v. The ECU has a reference voltage that it sends to this pin. If the pin is grounded the voltage will read 0v. That pin is grounded on the automatics. All you have to do is snip the wire going to the MT/AT pin, and the ECU now knows the car has a manual transmission.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/2-7_ECU_I-O_page1.jpg

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/2-7_ECU_I-O_page2.jpg

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/2-7_ECU_I-O_page3.jpg

good luck with your swap :P

I have two ecu's: one from a 91 legacy with a manual,and one from a 91 legacy auto.They phsicaly look the same,however in the identifier on the side of the box the manual says D8,where as the auto says C8.Are they different versions?Would one be better than the other?the one from the manual I also got the engine from.

Anyone done the EA-EJ swap within 3 hours of Lewiston,Idaho?If so I will personally pay for your gas to come down here and help me sort the wiring out.Then I will also compensate you for your time.At this point I would much rather pay the gas of someone driving a 74 suburban 3 hours each way then to screw this harness up much more.I just don't know what any of the connectors are for,I don't understand wiring diagrams,and my digital camera is MIA so I can't post pics of all the problem areas....

hang in there mate! I am going through the same "problems".

Like many said previously there are only a few things you need, many you don't. I will post a picture of what I have so far. Take it with a grain of salt because I haven't put it in the car to see if it works or not but here it is (picture is HUGE 4MB didn't want to lose detail)

http://dima.brandtshaft.com/Subaru/IMG_9448.JPG