Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swaping my 85 hatch driveline into 78 brat

[HTi]Savage

I am pulling the EA71 engine and tranny and rear end, to put my EA81 hatch motor and tranny in. then I am going to do a 4 in lift. But I have to pull the EA71 entire rear suspension and swap it with the hatch, so as to do the lift.

And I think that the engine crossmembers will swap too. If they do than I wont have to mess with the steering collum on the EA71, because the EA81 bell housing will rub the nuckel and not work. So if any one has anything to throw in fell free.

The EA-81 engine crossmember will not fit the 1st Gens, it's a bit wider. Miles Fox has tried this, and it didn't work out for him. (Where is that boy anyways)? Don't recall the exact difference, but it is wider.

Now, on the other hand, if you do that 4" lift you mentioned, you can offset the blocks to fit both the EA-71 frame and the EA-81 crossmember.

Thanks for the info buddy. I thought that they might swap because on another thread they were talking about swaping engine cross members between two brats an 81 and a 78. But those 81's are border line gen one I think. That idea with the lift I think I'll try. thanks

Lawrence

The EA-81 engine crossmember will not fit the 1st Gens, it's a bit wider. Miles Fox has tried this, and it didn't work out for him. (Where is that boy anyways)? Don't recall the exact difference, but it is wider.

Now, on the other hand, if you do that 4" lift you mentioned, you can offset the blocks to fit both the EA-71 frame and the EA-81 crossmember.

Not true, I put an EA81 from a '84 wagon in my '78 BRAT. The only problems I had were on the transmission mounts, but motor and drive line both went in without a problem. You'll also have to swap the clutch cable as well. Let me know if you have any other questions about the swap.

I measured both engine crossmembers, and the EA81 from my hatch is about 2 inches wider then the one in the brat. the other problem is that the bellhousing on the 4sp D/R will hit the steering collum unless something is modified. I would like to use EA81 engine crossmember and front suspension so the front and rear wheels are the same width. Fun

I'll send you some photo's of my layout. I do remember taking an angle grinder to the bell housing, but I didn't have to take of that much.

Savage']I measured both engine crossmembers' date=' and the EA81 from my hatch is about 2 inches wider then the one in the brat. the other problem is that the bellhousing on the 4sp D/R will hit the steering collum unless something is modified. I would like to use EA81 engine crossmember and front suspension so the front and rear wheels are the same width. Fun[/quote']

With the lift blocks you can accomodate the width difference.

I am putting an EA82 crossmember into my BRAT and it worked out fine.

The way I did it was to make the lift blocks and secure it to the wider crossmember. Then take the narrower crossmember and lay it on top. I am not sure if I am describing this right, but you need to flip the EA71 crossmember so that the mounting holes are over each other. so rear holes are over each other and the front holes are over each other. Then clamp or tack weld the crossmember in place and drill your hole in the lift block.

For mounting purposes I had to taper one side of the lift block so that I could get a wrench into it to mount it to the frame.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/boswan/IMG_0078.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/boswan/IMG_0079.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/boswan/IMG_0076.jpg

Where did u get that square metal. We live in a house on the job property whare my roomate works and we have all kinds of scrap metal to play with. but on a seperate note I am going to put the tranny in and see what I can do with the steering. Thanks for your tips.

Lawrence.

Savage']Where did u get that square metal. We live in a house on the job property whare my roomate works and we have all kinds of scrap metal to play with. but on a seperate note I am going to put the tranny in and see what I can do with the steering. Thanks for your tips.

Lawrence.

Go to a metal warehouse and ask if you can look for remnants or scrap.

I got enough 5X2 metal to make my lift kit for about 40 bucks.

BW