Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-EJ Convertion, Removing old stuff? Wiring FSM? Battery Location?

yegoshin

So I have a few quick questions here, hopefully someone can help me out:

1) Here is a picture of the engine bay:

IMG_9450.JPG

In the upper right hand corner there are 2 vacum switches/solenoids, am I correct to assume that those are not needed and that they can safely be removed?

2) Does ANYONE have a digital version of the FSM-Wiring diagrams that would work (read be close enough) to a '85 BRAT? Pretty please with sugar on top? I have the Haynes manual but it doesnt tell which wire goes thorugh which connector and its really annoying.

3) I am trying to figure out the Intake/Battery issue in the EA81. As you know they both want the same space. Some people modified the intake pipe, others have relocated the battery. I am wondering if there is an easy way to put the battery on the driver side here:

IMG_9451.JPG

Perhaps you have a picture of such arrangement? Maybe I can even go to the junkyard and pick up the tray and weld it in or something.

I don't see why you couldn't fit the battery on the driver's side. That's where its at on the EA81T. Drill a couple holes for a tie down, then put in new battery cables.

I am also doing an EJ swap on a BRAT.

Those solenoids/vacumm things are for the feedback carb system so you can toss them.

for the battery, I was planning on placing it in the bed behind on the passenger side. I have to keep the charcoal canister where it is b/c the car has to be inspected for SMOGing

I have a printout of the wiring, but I am having issues w/my scanner. Give me a PM and I can snail mail it to you.

BW

This is how I set up my EA81 EJ conversion. Battery stays in stock location. Intake manifold is from a '93 Legacy, flipped upside down so it points to the other side and a cone air filter was fitted to the MAF. Stock scissor jack and holder were removed. Not running a charcoal can, but there probably would have been room.

DCP_5608.jpg

I relocated mine to the driver's side. I just popped out the spot welds on the jack holder and drilled a couple of holes for the tie downs. The only thing I had to do was extend the power wire so it could make the journey from one end to the other. I attached it to the EA81 wire loom under the radiator. I might just put it in the back later for better balance.