Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am going to replace the knock sensor on my 98 Legacy Outback w/ 2.5. I got a manual for the car tonight. Its a Haynes manual. The manual says that I need to pull the entire intake manifold to do this. Is this really the case? Also says that I will need to drain the coolant out of the motor. Is this true?

[...]It's basically below the throttle cables.

Perhaps this will help: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3057

The sensor is mounted to the block, and unfortunately the intake manifold doesn't help with the access. You'll probably have to move at least a hose or two and maybe some wiring. It's important that you tighten the mounting bolt to the correct torque; overdo it and you risk cracking the new sensor or at least having it respond incorrectly.

You can do it without removing anything with the right combination of extensions. Just keep a bright light and a magnet handy for when you drop the bolt putting the sensor back in.

Oh, and a vacuum cleaner. ;) I had to vacuum out all sorts of leaves and debris from underneath the intake manifold. Weird.

cheers,

Matt

Yes Haynes isn't high on my list for accuracy.

well, I DID use only a Haynes manual to rebuild the manual gearbox on my 82 Saab 900. It had all the info I needed for that fairly complex job.

But, the instructions to remove the intake manifold to replace the Subaru knock sensor is simply ridiculous :) .