Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will an ea82 fit in a legacy?

bgd73

I have spotted 3 of them in my travels- all of them looked good, drivelines annhilated. 2 of those 3 were legacy gt's, none turbo'd. I like the interiors, heavier feel (Subaru is good at light vehicles pretending heavy). I have two EA82 engines complete and current soob has d/r, but body is not oem due to repairs... just thinkin... long after ej's are dead the 90's playdoh metal is still lookin pretty. :grin:

Too hard to fit the EA to the EJ trans (you have to illiminate half an inch in the mounting somehow and you need a adapter plate so thats more like 1 inch.) Fitting the back of a Leg gearbox (the housing for the center diff) and the front diff crown wheel and pinion shaft into a EA82 5sp will give the EA82 5sp the same mounting as the Leg box plus AWD. The engine should bolt right in and right upto the EA82 gearbox bellhousing. Then you just have to run the right wires from the ignition to the carbed EA82. Or install the SPFI wiring loom..

Although if you ask me, putting a slow motor in a heavier car isn't a great idea. It will use more fuel, be slower, and a fair bit of work (probably more then putting a EJ in a EA.) So to me, it's a waist of time.

Legacies are a bit heavier than EA82 Bodied cars. For that reason, I'd say you shouldn't do it.

However, I'd think you can. It'd be like a reverse EA->EJ swap. Use the EA transmission though, because the EJ transmission isn't going to bolt up to an EA. You'd also have to have custom axles, driveline and further.

Wouldn't be too difficult, bit I think you're the only one here who really would care to do so :lol:

hahaha I like how you changed your name to semi elite master!! NICE!...

As for the engine, if you really want a 1.8 I would do a EJ-18 it makes enough power to shove that thing around... and with the right tuning, turbo, ect... it could, would, go faster than an omni GLH... I LOVE THAT ACRONYMYMMYMMYNM(is that how you spell it.)