Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is the pressure switch for the A/C?

Hey gang,

I figure to determin if my AC is low on freon by jumping the psi switch out, and see if it will switch on. If it does, I will try this "freeze 12" stuff to recharge it. Now it will not turn on at all, I have applied power to the clutch, and it engaged just fine. Spinning it did not get cold. What do you guys think? It is a 1992 Loyale EA82 4x4 wagon, 5 spd.

If i remeber correctly, its on the passenger side of the car under the hood by the reciever drier. If its not there, just examine the steel lines for the ac, and it will be obvious. Odds are that you have a leaking O ring, which is a simple repair. If you dont find that leak, anything else may just leak out.

nipper

General rule of thumb is once you expose the system to air, you have to have it evacuated and recharged. Moisture in the system will reduce the ability to cool the car (and your defrosters).

I have never used the dye myself ( I used to work on much bigger systems with very robust connections) but there are no hidden connections for the most part, so it should work. If you wish to quickly change the oring and see how it works out, you can, but then later if the system has to be evacuated, you lost some money. Also wear saftey glasses and wear gloves. It is possible that the system may still be under pressure.

Also seeing how its winter, you may get a deal somplace on AC work.

nipper

If you open the system, or it hasn't been working for a long time due to lack of freon, it needs to be vacuumed. Quite a while ago, I posted on how to make your own vacuume pump from an old air conditioner.

The dye is a good idea, it makes finding the leak much simpler.

The pressure switch on the Loyale is a bit hard to find. I expected it to be on the dryer (narrow black cylindrical thing near the front passenger side of the engine bay with a little window on top - right next to, but not to be confused with, the evap canister which is bigger in diameter and has three rubber hoses attached at the top). It used to be there on the late-80's models, but in the Loyales (at least in 1991, which mine is), the switch is in-line near the dryer but down behind the passenger headlight (it is a black plug with four wires). It is almost right under the bulb-holder thingy for the headlight. Does that help? If you are completely out of refrigerant and your compressor clutch won't engage due to low pressure, you might have to jumper the switch to get your compressor running as you fill with new refrigerant. Good luck!

-Ian