Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replace radio illumination?

does anyone have instructions/experience, or know where I can find instructions to replace the lamp in the radio behind the clock/tuner display? This is a stock cassette am/fm radio on a 97 OBW.

didn't look obvious with the little glance I took at trying to find a solution.

thanks - John

If yours is similar to mine, the LED that provides the backlighting for the LCD display is somewhat built into the LCD panel, if your comfortable soldering small components then id say just dig into it.

But realistically your just as well off buying a new head unit. Theyre pretty cheap these days and youll get the benefit of clearer sound and better radio reception from a decent aftermarket one.

If yours is similar to mine, the LED that provides the backlighting for the LCD display is somewhat built into the LCD panel, if your comfortable soldering small components then id say just dig into it.

But realistically your just as well off buying a new head unit. Theyre pretty cheap these days and youll get the benefit of clearer sound and better radio reception from a decent aftermarket one.

thanks - if it gets annoying enough, I'll probably take it out and open it up. otherwise, I sometimes have a small flashlight in the car, but that's a little hard to use if I'm alone...

I'll try to respond if I dig in.

Pick up one of the newer 6 CD changer / Tape / Radio units from someone who has pulled it out to put in aftermarket stuff. That's what I did with my 97 OB.

I'm not sure about the latest models, but the P123 from the early 2000's plug right in. (And I think the model that followed it.) You'll lose the cubby hole, but it's worth it.

I've still got my stock unit kicking around...

Commuter

And the answer is Ebay. I suggest you use an upgraded Subaru OEM Radio, I know it works as I have done it. I was unable to find your exact radio on Ebay but they always pop up. Just search for "subaru radio" every few days. They should cost around 15 bucks.

Upgrade 6 disk with tape

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-Subaru-Impreza-AM-FM-6-Disc-Cass-Radio-Changer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38641QQihZ009QQ itemZ190065857698QQrdZ1