Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch replacement follow up (Fenco/Exedy)

A few months back I had posted about replacing a clutch on our 96 OBW with 2.2 and had asked for some opinions and experiences.

I went with the OE Exedy clutch for $165 and free shipping. It worked out to be nearly the same price* as as the Fenco from Advance plus local sales tax.

I resurfaced the original flywheel but went with a new disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing.

After 3000+ miles I thought I would share the results. It works fine. When towing there is no slip. When the RPMs are fairly low the chatter is pretty noticable. That is my only complaint. If I had to do my 99 Legacy I would not hesitate to use the same components.

I hope some of this information helps the next guy.

*There were some comments about getting what you pay for and a digression from there in my original post. FWIW the Fenco and Exedy worked out to be within $6 of each other. So the whole notion of getting what you pay for is not really true. Fenco is cheap and others mentioned it is often times poor quality. The Exedy is very nearly the same price as the Fenco and it works well for me and has worked well for others. If getting what you pay for is indeed true then the Exedy should be poor quality like the Fenco simply because the price is low. However, normal driving and towing show this not to be the case. I think the Exedy is a good value.

Now to me the low RPM chatter would be unexceptable.
It is about the same as my stock 99. When searching for information on the clutch replacement there was some talk about the clutch chatter beeing greater in the late 90s due to some changes in the clutch material. This could be true or it could be a reason somebody assumed because their clutch was performing less than perfect. But once again the Exedy is as smooth (or "chattery" if you are a glass half empty person) as my 99 2.2 5 speed.

Neither the 99 or the 96 with the replacement clutch are as smooth as my old 93 wagaon (200,000+ miles and the original clutch) or our 1st 96 OBW, may it rest in peace, with 160,000 miles. DANG! that was a good car.

Now to me the low RPM chatter would be unexceptable. Also the chatter can come from machining the flywheel, as subarus arent keen on having thier flywheels machined. BUt if your happy with it, thats all that matters.

nipper

Interesting about the machining of Subaru flywheels. Conventional wisdom states that flywheels should be machined. I'm preparing to put a clutch in my good friends '97 legacy, and I was planning on buying a machined used flywheel, and returning the current one for the core. I'm wondering, should we skip the machining? His clutch is in fairly rough shape right now, slipping in the higher gears. About 175k on the car and clutch. We were planning on using OEM components, as is my custom with Subarus. I suppose we could buy the flywheel and return it if we decide not to use it. I think he'll be disappointed if he gets chatter, as the car has never done it.

Interesting about the machining of Subaru flywheels. Conventional wisdom states that flywheels should be machined. I'm preparing to put a clutch in my good friends '97 legacy, and I was planning on buying a machined used flywheel, and returning the current one for the core. I'm wondering, should we skip the machining? His clutch is in fairly rough shape right now, slipping in the higher gears. About 175k on the car and clutch. We were planning on using OEM components, as is my custom with Subarus. I suppose we could buy the flywheel and return it if we decide not to use it. I think he'll be disappointed if he gets chatter, as the car has never done it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-58162.html

This may open up a can of worms, but figured i would list it.

Here is a question. is it a ceramic clutch? If it is then you will get some chatter in the morning untill the clutch warms up. In doing research for this question i came across that. If thats the case then you have to have chatter.

I would also make sure the machine shop take off just enough to clean up and flatten the flywheel surface. I know when people have "lightened" the flywheel, there have been chattering issues.

nipper

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-58162.html

This may open up a can of worms, but figured i would list it.

Thanks! A few of the post in the link confirmed what I am experiencing. Cold damp mornings or rainy days. We haven't had winter yet in SW Mich so I don't know what REAL cold is going to do. I even had my Miata out yesterday (top up, I am not that hard core!). Other than Colorado has anybody had a real winter yet that has come to stay?

Thanks again for digging this link out,

Greg

My 97 Legacy had absolutely horrid chatter, it had been sitting on the dealer forcourt for a year. After a bit of hard driving tho it would smooth out. I heard an over heated friction plate is what causes this?

With all the other cars i drive, all of them have smooth responsive clutches. If i'd had chance to do a clutch job i would have wanted the Legacys clutch to be as smooth as the other cars - no chatter at all.