Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake caliper rebuild kit

It is time to replace the other front brake caliper on my '96 OBW. It's sticking. Being in Sweden, parts for my Indiana manufactered Subie are neither easy to come by nor inexpensive... I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a place ( in the U.S.) that sells rebuild kits for the double-pistoned caliper on this vehicle? It would be simple and cheaper to by a rebuilt caliper, but the shipping of a caliper from the U.S. to Sweden would make it cost-prohibitive. I thought of just having a kits sent and then having it done here would be a better & less expensive option.

Thanks!

Sweden

http://www.rockauto.com says that they do international shipping. You may want to check them out. They do have caliper kits for subarus, though I don't know if they will fit your car.

I spent 7 weeks in Lund for work this fall, a very nice city. I just ate some pepparkakor and singoalla. I brought my wife home some hjortronsylt, good stuff! I don't anticipate traveling to Lund in the near future, or I could bring the caliper kits with me.

calipers are soo easy to rebuild. it's a dust boot, circlip and seal for each piston, very simple.

if it's only sticking, greasing the slides of the caliper may be the issue and not the actual caliper/piston itself. all you need is to clean the slides and regrease, have you checked that?

The slides got greased a few months back when I replaced the pads, so I know it is not only that that is causing the sticking. After 3 years in the salted streets of MN and the subsequent years here in southern Sweden, it is not surprising that the caliper is hanging. I'll give one of the suppliers a call after the New Year to see if the kit they have is the correct one.

99obw

Were you here in southern Sweden because of the University or one of the companies located here? Yes, the hjortonsylt is great; but I have tired of pepparkakor (after eating about a 1000 of them in the past month...).

Sweden

And the answer is Ebay. I suggest you use an upgraded Subaru OEM Radio, I know it works as I have done it. I was unable to find your exact radio on Ebay but they always pop up. Just search for "subaru radio" every few days. They should cost around 15 bucks.

Upgrade 6 disk with tape

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-Subaru-Impreza-AM-FM-6-Disc-Cass-Radio-Changer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38641QQihZ009QQitemZ190065857698QQrdZ1