Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does the ER27 get the same TOD as the EA82?

Here is my stupid question of the day...as title says..Does the ER27 get the same TOD as the EA82?? I was trying to show off my XT6 to Tommys brother-in-law ( he has a 2006 Mustang GT) today and ....figures..I start up Rocky and he was ticking like crazy....but just a couple hours earlier when I moved him he wasnt ticking.Pretty embarrassing when you are trying to talk up your old Subaru and explaining that its a rust heap but the motor only has 20K on it....Is the cause and the fix the same thing? Gosh I feel so XT6 stupid.

Thanks

Basically the same engine, yeah. Think of it as a "longer" EA82. But the front is different - the timing belt system differs, and the the oil/water pumps are different part numbers, but largely the same in design. They still have the cam tower o-rings, and if those weren't replaced with the reinfoced units.....

Pretty much the same lifter design tho, so if it's ticking it's lifter oil pressure that's at fualt. There's the pump, and it's seals, and the cam tower seals, so between those two some air could have crept in. If the engine only has 20k, then I would suspect poor seals rather than lifters.

One thing I have noticed is that engines that are left to tick a LOT end up with worn lifters to the point that they will not stop ticking even with correct oil pressure. So there is some arguement to support fixing the TOD promptly rather than ignoreing it. But rebuilt lifters aren't real expensive either so it's really not a gigantic deal.

GD

read my post on the other oil pump TOD thread....a new oil pump can solve issues as well...i believe and explain that in the other thread.

resealing is a good first step.

and yes the ER27 uses the same pistons, HLA's and other parts as the EA82...it's just an EA82 with two more cylinders slapped on the end and some minor modifications. the internals are interchangeable.

Thanks Guys..thats what I had thought..it was basically the same...I dont know when the last oil change was done..but if I know the seller...it was pretty recent..I should probably do one anyway and seafoam it..just to be safe..would have done that today but got side tracked working on the dirtbikes..getting them torn down and ready for re-welding and repainting and winter rebuilds.( plus with them torn down there is more room in the garage for the car...plus the garage is insulated and heated:brow: )