Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Responsible wheeling

WoodsWagon

I know, a topic people talk about, but don't like to participate in.

I'll admit right off the bat that I have engaged in environmentally damaging wheeling... and it was fun.

I've been dealing with people who trash the trails, and doing my own trail cleanups (one of the benifits of having a wagon). But still, enough people go out each weekend and F up my work.

I read in magazines and on line that "the greens are closing all our trails" and "tree huggers have won again". The blame for the trails being closed is being passed off. Off roaders seem in denial that their individual actions screw it up for everyone, and then they complain later how it got shut down.

I'm throwing on a link to a decent article on the problem:

http://www.cal4wheel.com/alerts/sema.pdf

I'm pretty passionate about this issue, and I belive it's one mostly of respect. I'm looking for your views on the problem.

Yep, I agree with ya on the reason our trails are in trouble is because of the individuals that don't care or relize that they are trashing the place. Most people I see or here of doing damage are young folks that are just being young and having fun (so to speak). I know of a few 4x4 clubs that actually take foresters, rangers and young people out on runs just to show them what it is really about and how not all 4xers are abusers. I here possitive things have came from these actions. Its also a really good idea that we watch what we post as far as pictures of our runs on the web. Its looks fun to us and we know what the pic is all about, but to other of less knowledge can receive the wrong info from that picture.

I think the whole dang thing stinks. We all need to step up to the plate in some sort of degree and make sure the wrong message is not being seen in the general publics eyes.

I have seen alot of bad stuff ...to me the worse stuff to see is dumpin trash....beer cans, bottles...brass!!!

I clear blowdown when needed and have informed rangers and sherif's of hazzards or abuse when I see it. I have even added water bars or dug trenches to help water flow to drainage properly. I have particpated in SOLV cleanups since the 70's!

I practice pack it in... pack it out!( or leave no trace).

The best advice I can give is show other's what you can do to personally and collectively to make a difference. It only takes one to improve or ruin a resource.

I practice pack it in... pack it out!( or leave no trace).

The best advice I can give is show other's what you can do to personally and collectively to make a difference. It only takes one to improve or ruin a resource.

im with ya all the way!!! i hate it when people disrespect the trails:mad: im not mentioning any names....:rolleyes:

Since I've been mountain biking and motorcycle trail riding for a couple decades, I've seen millions of acres of land completely closed off to wheeled travel (even non-motorized). Yes, this is a very important subject, and Cal4Wheel is an excellent organization. At the very least, folks need to send their money to advocacy groups. In addition, trail restoration, letter writing to gov't officials, trash pickup, etc, need to be done.

I'm a member of (and endorse) the following groups that work to keep trails in good condition and OPEN. These are the ones I remember off the top of my head, there are probably others.

National Orgs

-Blue Ribbon Coalition (MTB, motorcycle, 4x4, Snowmobile, hiking, rock climbing, hunting, fishing) www.ShareTrails.org

-International Mountain Bicycling Association (MTB) www.imba.com (members can buy new Subarus at dealer cost!)

-American Motocyclist Association www.ama-cycle.org

State Orgs

-Cal4Wheel (4x4) www.Cal4Wheel.com

-Utah Shared Access Alliance (motorized) www.usaall.org

-Association of California Trail Riders (motorcycle)

-Distric 36 (motorcycle) www.ama-d36.org