Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I am beginning to do my own work on my 96 OBW 2.5 auto, with 200000km.

My first job was changing the engine oil last night, which went very well. Next job will be to change the pads and rotors.

I also am planning to change the transmission fluid, and it sounds as easy as the oil. But when I stopped by the Subaru dealer for the oil filter, I asked for a handful of the plug seal washers, since the same one fits the oil drain and the transmission drain.

That is when the parts guy asked if I wanted the AT filter as well. I mentioned that I had not read anything about an AT filter in my owners manual or the Haynes manual, for the 96 OBW. He insisted I had one, and that I should change it.

So I spent $48 CDN on a AT filter. It basically looks like an oil filter, but says AT ONLY on the side.

Last night while waiting for the engine oil to finishing draining, I went looking under the car for the AT filter, and can't seem to find one anywhere.

So my question is, does the 96 OBW have an AT filter similar to an oil filter? And if so, where is it and how easy is it to replace?

Or, should I take this one back, slap the guy, and get my money back?

Thanks for any advise :headbang:

definitely smack the guy. he's nuts. they didn't put that type of filter on subarus until 99. he's an idiot. the only filter on a 96 is inside the pan and it's not a filter it's a screen.

and if you ever go to a shop to have your trans fluid flushed, tell them not ot remove the pan and not to replace the filter (there isn't one). that's standard for that type of service , since a lot of cars don't have AT fluid drain plugs. also the oil pans on the automatics tend to leak if not reinsatlled correctly.

there was / is an external AT filter that some have talked about , but it's pretty rare and it's installed on the fluid lines that run to the radiator (driver siode). but you don't have that and there is no way the parts guy could know if you did.

so yeah, smack the guy.

OH, AND CONGRATS ON THE SUCCESS OIL CHANGE. :clap:

did you get the drain plug washers?

john

Hello all,

I am beginning to do my own work on my 96 OBW 2.5 auto, with 200000km.

My first job was changing the engine oil last night, which went very well. Next job will be to change the pads and rotors.

I also am planning to change the transmission fluid, and it sounds as easy as the oil. But when I stopped by the Subaru dealer for the oil filter, I asked for a handful of the plug seal washers, since the same one fits the oil drain and the transmission drain.

That is when the parts guy asked if I wanted the AT filter as well. I mentioned that I had not read anything about an AT filter in my owners manual or the Haynes manual, for the 96 OBW. He insisted I had one, and that I should change it.

So I spent $48 CDN on a AT filter. It basically looks like an oil filter, but says AT ONLY on the side.

Last night while waiting for the engine oil to finishing draining, I went looking under the car for the AT filter, and can't seem to find one anywhere.

So my question is, does the 96 OBW have an AT filter similar to an oil filter? And if so, where is it and how easy is it to replace?

Or, should I take this one back, slap the guy, and get my money back?

Thanks for any advise :headbang:

well he just covered it but i'll second the slapping of the counter guy. unless canadian vehicles were different (don't think they were in this regard), the automatic transmission won't have an external filter on it unless it's a 98+.

technically you will see references to a "filter", like say if you tried to order one at a parts store they would give you one. but, it's the internal filter and like john just said it's only a screen. do not replace it. you only need to change your fluid. you can either have a shop do a flush on it, or drain and refill 3 or 4 times yourself (that's what i and many others on the board do). draining one time still leaves alot of fluid in the valve body, torque converter, etc. trans fluid does'nt drain all to the pan like engine oil, so a couple changes or a flush are necessary.

and you are very wise to change your trans fluid.

Thanks guys, I'll try to post a picture of me putting this guy in a headlock.

As for the drain and refill 3 to 4 times, how much driving do you do between, if any? I assume some driving is needed inorder to move the older fluid down to the pan for removal.

Thanks guys, I'll try to post a picture of me putting this guy in a headlock.

As for the drain and refill 3 to 4 times, how much driving do you do between, if any? I assume some driving is needed inorder to move the older fluid down to the pan for removal.

I don't think you need to drive it; just cycling through all the settings (R thru 1) a few times while keeping the engine turning faster than nominal idle (I step on the brake, then bring the engine RPM up to around 1500 while I do this) will adequately circulate fluid in the system. Now that I've discovered it can work, I personally like to use the tranny fluid pressure to "pump out" the old fluid by pulling the hoses off of the tranny cooler (at the radiator) and then running the car while a few quarts of fluid are forced out. A bit messy until you figure out which hose is the "outlet" side, but very effective!

Oh, let me not forget to mention that I don't allow the unit to pump itself dry - just pump out a few quarts. THen I top off with new fluid and repeat the process a couple of times, until the stuff coming out looks new. Then, just to make sure I have all the "gunk" out, I pull the pan drain plug and do one more drain and fill.

What about the optional filter? My car (1990 legacy) has this- its right below the drivers side cam cover. Is this something the part stores stock?
i think that is vehicle specific. i've never owned one, but heard of some recall or something for a kit, specific to a very few year/model vehicles. this is probably yours and is not common to any other subaru's. a search on here would clarify this. but his 1996 definitely does not have a screw on filter.

i usually drain, drive around a couple days then do it again. but cycling through the gears would work as well.

[...]As for the drain and refill 3 to 4 times, how much driving do you do between, if any? I assume some driving is needed inorder to move the older fluid down to the pan for removal.
A few miles (enough to get the ATF up to operating temperature for a while) should be enough. If you haven't already seen it, take a look at this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69474 My post in it (#9) gives an indication of how much of the old fluid gets changed if you drain and refill only the pan a few times.

A few miles (enough to get the ATF up to operating temperature for a while) should be enough. If you haven't already seen it, take a look at this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69474 My post in it (#9) gives an indication of how much of the old fluid gets changed if you drain and refill only the pan a few times.

based on those numbers and the refill amount of 3.5 - 4 qts of fresh fluid, if you change the fluid 3 times you will have used 10.5 to 12 qts. of new fluid.

if you change it 5 times to get 92% fresh you wiil use 17.5 to 20 qts.

if a gallon cost 12$, drain and refill 3 times costs 36$ and 5 times costs 60$.

the idea of doing myself appeals to me, but if i have a trans problem, i think i'd pay to have it done, (89$ at one shop, filter extra, hehehe). the point being, if you NEED new fluid get as much as possible as soon as possible.

on the other hand if this is periodic maintenance, then do it yourself. just do more often than the book calls for. 6 drain & fill gets you to 95% new. what if you did it every time you changed your oil for 2 years? or 3 times to start and then the next 5 or 6 oil changes.

just thinkin' out loud.

john

DO NOT GET IT DONE AT A TRANNY SHOP!

Get it done anywhere else, preferably some place that does not do tranny repairs. Transmission shops are evil evil places and someplace to go out of desperation.

There are many threads here complaining about tranny shops (go in for a rattle come out with a new tranny).

I do mine every 3 years.

nipper

DO NOT GET IT DONE AT A TRANNY SHOP!

Get it done anywhere else, preferably some place that does not do tranny repairs. Transmission shops are evil evil places and someplace to go out of desperation.

There are many threads here complaining about tranny shops (go in for a rattle come out with a new tranny).

I do mine every 3 years.

nipper

good advice!!