Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roll cages

WoodsWagon

Safety is the biggest reason. It doesn't matter if I'm rolling the car on the street, or the track. The SCCA has been advertising on campus a fair bit, so I was thinking of what I would need to do a bit of weekend-warrior competition

As far as being a weekend warrior, you don't need a cage for that. Rally-X and Auto-X don't require cages. It's only when you get into Rally Sprints or time trials that you need the cage.

As for safety on the street, I can't argue that it's not safer for you the occupant, but I'm still not sure how an insurance company would look at it if you we in an accident. I've always been afraid that if I got hit, the person who hit me would or could sue claiming that their car sustained more damage because my car had a cage that didn't allow the car to deform and absorb some of the impact forces.

As for our rally car we run a 6 point cage. Not unlike the pictures on the last page, just not tied into the front strut towers. That takes a lot of extra work that we don't feel is necissary. We don't push that hard that we really worry about heavy front impacts. So far are history of impacts has all been on the rear doors or rear suspension. The incident that killed the last car at STPR was mainly a B pillar impact on the door sill. It was after that the car bounced around and hit the tree dead center in the front.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone have cage pictures in a brat or hatch?

good point, wouldnt mind seeing one as well, im looking to put a cage in my brat, but im thinkin about weather i should consider making a rear rollbar like a pick-up truck style and having it linked with the cage inside somehow, so you can mount like a pair of lights of somthing and still have a bit of room behind the seats inside, helmets for instance or similar, or just have the full cage inside, and then a little something like the standard rollbars on the outside, having it all inside means you could have a camera mount to watch all the fun :rolleyes:

Busts open a bottle of champagne, and christens the new forum...

What do you have for a roll cage, or plans for one in your car? I'm specifically interested in EA82 wagons, but other cars may offer good ideas.

Judging from the pictures you gave me of your little "runs"... you need a padded cocoon inside a hermetic seal... Yikes!